Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Buy WHY can't they just have civil unions??!!! Why does it have to be "marriage?"

Posted by   + Show Post

There are more than 1,000 federal laws that confer benefits of one sort or another on married couples — everything from tax savings to Social Security benefits, but DOMA excludes those benefits for legally married same-sex couples.

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/27/175295410/doma-challenge-tests-federal-definition-of-marriage

Why can't we let the states decide and the people can vote their hearts?

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Won't gay marriage lead to polygamy and bestiality and pedophilia? 

This isn't even on  Congress's radar.  The crux of their support for DOMA is...

"the core purpose and defining characteristic of the institution of marriage always has been the creation of a social structure to deal with the inherently procreative nature of the male-female relationship".

This is not good legal argument, folks.  Lots of people don't have babies and they are allowed to marry.  Lots of people have babies who are not married.  A recent study said that children raised by hay and lesbian couples are not endangered.

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM
3 moms liked this

She didn't even spell goat right. Don't argue with stupid lol.

Quoting brettsmomma:

This is a stupid argument. She wrote WHO they want not WHAT. a goat is not a human being capable of loving another human.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wany to Marry a ghoat

Quoting Anonymous:

Anyone of legal age should be able to marry who they want.  No goverment (state or federal) should tell them otherwise.

Megan11587
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Marriage is a legal term. Get over it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sophiasmommy27
by Sarah Sweetheart on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM
because who am I to decide if someone can get married? who are you to decide?
nobody.
makes no sense to me....
it's not hurting anyone directly so why is it against the law?
sweet-a-kins
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:35 AM
If that's the best you can get...I'm sorry for the goat

But goats can't enter into legal contracts, which is necessary to get married

Quoting Anonymous:

I wany to Marry a ghoat

Quoting Anonymous:

Anyone of legal age should be able to marry who they want.  No goverment (state or federal) should tell them otherwise.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM
My grandparents have been married for nearly 60 years... Just sayin, it is still around

Quoting brettsmomma:

My neighbors are a gay couple that has lived together for over 40 years. Now that's love. How many of you can honestly say you or your parents(well I can but I know its not the norm) have been in one committed loving relationship that long?

They deserve to walk down the aisle and get married if that's their choice.

Who are we to say they cant? What right do we have to determine this is wrong? Our constitution separates religion from our government. Its time we put that to the test.

Megan11587
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Also, i remember reading in history books somewhere that the.US tried doing separate but equal before. Can you refresh my memory as to how that all worked out?
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Why can't we have separation of church and state like we're supposed to? Why are religious views having so much control over things they have no business being in.
CutieCrab
by Jen on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM

But what if the goat is not of legal age?

Quoting Anonymous:

I wany to Marry a ghoat

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:44 AM
What's a ghoat?

Quoting Anonymous:

I wany to Marry a ghoat

Quoting Anonymous:

hip2it
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see the big deal.  Straight people have been fucking marriage up for years; let gay people give it a shot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)