Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pregnant on mirena?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 15 Replies
Anyone ever got pregnant on mirena??

I have had it for about a year and periods have a mind of their own. I was having them at first then they stopped and then they came back ever month about 3 months ago. I would say 4-7 days ago I had some spotting and thought it was my period... but just spotting but thats pretty normal with mirena.

The past week I have been super sensitive to smells... but thought nothing of it. Now the past few days I am non stop throwing up and having diarrhea (this happened with DD because I have ulcerative colitis and my hormones make it way worse). I have been blaming it on a stomach bug.

Jokingly my hubby was like your probably pregnant and I was like hmmmm... I sure hope not!! I think when I go to the store today I will pick up a test just to make sure.

Has anyone gotten pregnant on mirena? Was your baby ok? Did they remove the mirena? Let me know your experience.
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AshlynnJadesMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM

BUMP!

Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I've had my Mirena almost three years. My periods are pretty much non existent at this point. I, too, get pregnancy symptoms from time to time but I think its the hormones. I will usually take test to be sure. I don't want to be on that I didn't know I was pregnant show lol. Goodluck momma!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I did, but mine had kinda moved a little
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I had a Mirena and my periods stopped completely which took some getting used to.

You can get pregnant on an IUD if it becomes dislodged. My understanding is that you have a couple options if you are pregnant....some women leave it alone and take their chances. My OB said she has delivered a few babies that came out holding their mom's IUD in their hand. There is also the possibility that it could become embedded in the baby, which is scary or the placenta, which I was told is actually not a big deal (all by my OB when I was having mine put in).

Most women will have it removed, but there is a very high likelihood of miscarriage when it is taken out.

If I had gotten pregnant on the Mirena, I probably would have attempted to have it out. I would almost rather a miscarriage then having a baby with an IUD in its brain. Neither is ideal.

AshlynnJadesMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM
I'm hoping it's just a bug!
AshlynnJadesMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Quoting firespurity:

I did, but mine had kinda moved a little

Did they remove the mirena or did you leave it in place?
AshlynnJadesMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

I had a Mirena and my periods stopped completely which took some getting used to.

You can get pregnant on an IUD if it becomes dislodged. My understanding is that you have a couple options if you are pregnant....some women leave it alone and take their chances. My OB said she has delivered a few babies that came out holding their mom's IUD in their hand. There is also the possibility that it could become embedded in the baby, which is scary or the placenta, which I was told is actually not a big deal (all by my OB when I was having mine put in).

Most women will have it removed, but there is a very high likelihood of miscarriage when it is taken out.

If I had gotten pregnant on the Mirena, I probably would have attempted to have it out. I would almost rather a miscarriage then having a baby with an IUD in its brain. Neither is ideal.

I think I would try to have it removed also.
Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I've had it for about two years, but sometimes ( usually when my period used to start) I got pregnancy symptoms.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a 2 1/2 year old mirena baby. I had mine removed and didn't miscarry.
AshlynnJadesMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I bet you were surprised! I would be totally shocked

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a 2 1/2 year old mirena baby. I had mine removed and didn't miscarry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)