Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is he responsible for YOUR kids??

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 44 Replies

This post is for former single moms who got married, remarried, or are with someone who is NOT the father of your kids.

Do you think he should be responsible for taking care of your kids? You have no kids together, he may or may not have kids but they don't live with you. Should you expect him to work and pay all the bills and allow you to stay home or do you think it's your responsiblity to work and provide for YOUR kids?

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM
5 moms liked this

If he had a problem with it he shouldnt marry a single mom. I feel if you enter a marriage with a partner who has kids you are obligated to love and care for those children as if they were your own. Anything else is a huge injustice towards the children.

o.O....
by Cara on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this
If i get remarried it will be to someone who will love my children as his own and care for them as such. So yes- it will be his responsibility.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
My4Kidds
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

BUMP!

Jennyanne322
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM
It's my responsibility to provide for my child and no one else's. I would never expect my boyfriend to pay for anything for him or to pay my bills. The only way I would remotely be okay with it is if he adopted DS.
Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this

My second husband never made a point to differentiate our children. I have two from my first marriage and one with him. He supports us fully, and spoils the crap out of the older two. If you're going to enter into a marriage where children exist prior to you than should you not treat them as your own? 

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Totally up to each couple to decide how they will work that. I don't see how it is anybody else's concern.
MissTuree
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes it is his responsibility. I was very clear with him when we got together that if it got serious he would have to fully accept my son as his own, with all the love and responsibility that that includes. If he wasn't up to it that was okay but then he wasn't the man for me. My son is no longer my son, he's ours and so loves him more than he even loves me and I live and respect him so much because of that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I don't think it's his responsibility per say,I think it's something that should be discussed prior to marriage.
M.I.A...P.O.W
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

We discussed it. The plan when we got together was for my to be a SAHM but things took a slight side-track and for the moment I am working part-time. The plan is still at some point for me not to have to work. I did not just tell him this is way it will be, we talked and it is what we both want.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Why in the world would the children be differenciated?  If that is the case, there is no reason to get remarried.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)