Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Autism. Are you truly curious or do you only want to judge?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 111 Replies
8 moms liked this

My Autistic DS is almost 3. Autism is something I take very seriously since I live with it every day, all day. On CM I have seen so much hate for parents of Autistic children and even some intolerance of Autistic children in general. It really breaks my heart to think people are really this way and can only hope it's isolated to CM. there have been a few people that have expressed curiosity about it simply because they don't understand. I thought I might start a thread for anyone interested to read and hopefully the parents of Autistic kids to add their own educational points.

Here's a very basic and simple idea of what Autism is and what diagnosis fall under ASD/Autism to start with.

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and autism are both general terms for a group of complex disorders of brain development. These disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors. They include autistic disorder, Rett syndrome, childhood disintegrative disorder, pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS) and Asperger syndrome.

Feel free to add your own bits of information or ask questions! I hope this helps settle some of the dust that's been kicked up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunshineBird
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM

BUMP!

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM
3 moms liked this

EVERY CHILD on the spectrum is DIFFERENT

my DS is low functioning, but if you met him, you would think otherwise.  my friends DS is high functioning, but if you met him you would think the opposite.

some talk, some dont

some are behavioral, some arent

some hate touch (hugs, kisses, etc), other LOVE it

some are very social in settings they are comfortable with and are completely anti social in a new setting

DS can deal with certain pitches, but singing happy birthday will send him into a 4 hour meltdown

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM
My dd has red flags and is delayed across the board, I remember my initial reaction to the therapist mentioning autism, but I believe my bad reaction was due to dd's original speech therapist constantly telling me she saw no red flags, I now strongly believe she didn't keep herself well educated.
SunshineBird
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Could you explain the part I underlined? I am curious about what you mean. 

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

my DS is low functioning, but if you met him, you would think otherwise.  my friends DS is high functioning, but if you met him you would think the opposite.

some talk, some dont

some are very social in settings they are comfortable with and are completely anti social in a new setting

DS can deal with certain pitches, but singing happy birthday will send him into a 4 hour meltdown

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM

my oldest is 13 has pdd-nos and a few other issues. plus hes going thru puberty. so much fun.

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:46 PM

he talks, can hold a conversation, but behaviorially and socially he is at the bottom.  

my friends DS non verbal, but socially and behaviorially he is on par.

this is the gist in a very small part of the comparision between the two.

comparing test scores he is way above my DS, but looking at them you would think the total opposite

Quoting SunshineBird:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

some talk, some dont

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM
3 moms liked this

My son has autism and I am truly appalled at some of the hurtul things I read on this site.

I did not search for a diagnosis.  I was, in fact, in disbelief. I don't feel like I have bragging rights because my child is special needs.  In fact, it can be heartbreaking.

I cannot understand all the hate.

SunshineBird
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM

It's really amazing how much difference exists between one Autistic child and the next. To be honest, I've always considered my son high functioning but I really don't know where he falls in regard to that.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

he talks, can hold a conversation, but behaviorially and socially he is at the bottom.  

my friends DS non verbal, but socially and behaviorially he is on par.

this is the gist in a very small part of the comparision between the two.

comparing test scores he is way above my DS, but looking at them you would think the total opposite

Quoting SunshineBird:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

some talk, some dont

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I cannot wait until they remove Rett Syndrome from the list. They are planning on doing so. It is quite different from Autism.

I say that after living with a child with Rett Syndrome, family members all over the autism scale, having Asperger's myself, and a son with Asperger's.

That said, I love this post and your son is adorable!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunshineBird
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I can't understand it either. It KILLS me to think that my child or parenting is looked down on because of something that is beyond our control. I cried like a baby after DS's first evaluation. It changes so much and you grieve for the normality you expected your child to have. I'm sorry momma. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

My son has autism and I am truly appalled at some of the hurtul things I read on this site.

I did not search for a diagnosis.  I was, in fact, in disbelief. I don't feel like I have bragging rights because my child is special needs.  In fact, it can be heartbreaking.

I cannot understand all the hate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)