Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Broken cheeseburger post

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM
  • 17 Replies
5 moms liked this
So in that post the chick said in her title the little girl should have consequences for not wanting to eat a "broken" cheeseburger. I wonder, does she think babies should have consequences too? When someone with autism's emotional age is so much younger and they don't understand why something is not the same they should be punished? Really? And for the other chick who wants to be educated on autism. You can Google about autism and read every autism post til your eyeballs fall out and until you have a child with autism you will never understand it. Just have patience with those with autism, bear with them understand not everyone conforms to your little perfect idea of how ALL people should act.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM

So just because they are emotionally younger that means they are indefinitely excluded from punishments/consequences? Good to know. Will remember.

My nephew has autism BTW and my sister and I lived together for a long, long time as roommates. He does have consequences and rules to follow. He's 13 in case anyone asks.

DollJMW
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM
4 moms liked this
One of the things I wish people would understand about Autism is if you've met one person with Autism you've met one person with Autism. I feel that people seem to miss that a lot and think because one person with Autism can do something they all should be able to. It just doesn't work that way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM
3 moms liked this
You know, many mothers will never understand high needs or special needs kiddos. Behavioral disorders are often invisible to the eye and until you are living it 24 to 7; it is impossible to understand these type of children.

But it is sooo possible to judge & throw around "superior" mothering techniques because "well it works for my children" and of course therefore it would be applicable to all children. *note the sarcastic tone*

I just say a prayer out of kindness for the majority of these women, with their broomsticks a stomping and ranting voices of "discipline the child you horrible parent" never have to figure out the hard way, it's not always that damn simple! If they only knew, most of them would shut their mouths.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I am more thinking why on earth would you force a child to eat unhealthy food
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Children that have sensory issues and do not have autism are misunderstood as well. Unless someone has walked in your shoes/my shoes, they can't know what it is like to cry themselves to sleep because their child does not eat like a normal child.  To worry about every ounce your child takes in so he/she can be healthy. Until they have watched their child in feeding therapy withdraw and shut down to where the light is gone from their eyes.....they will never know. I choose to love my son, just as he  is, sensory issues and all. He is bright, happy, compassionate and strong. One day he will completely conquer oral sensory issues, but until then, I will love him and support him, just as he is.  And I will not force him to do something that is akin to making someone eat cigarette buts to his taste buds. That is what our therapist explained to us. I say let them judge and may they never have a child with those needs. I don't wish it on anyone.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Exactly. I discipline my DD. but some days she just screams like a banshee. Nothing I can do, short of holding her and comforting her. I refuse to spank her or punish her for battling demons I can't understand. It would just be cruel.

Quoting Marti123:

You know, many mothers will never understand high needs or special needs kiddos. Behavioral disorders are often invisible to the eye and until you are living it 24 to 7; it is impossible to understand these type of children.

But it is sooo possible to judge & throw around "superior" mothering techniques because "well it works for my children" and of course therefore it would be applicable to all children. *note the sarcastic tone*

I just say a prayer out of kindness for the majority of these women, with their broomsticks a stomping and ranting voices of "discipline the child you horrible parent" never have to figure out the hard way, it's not always that damn simple! If they only knew, most of them would shut their mouths.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM
GTFO

Quoting Anonymous:

I am more thinking why on earth would you force a child to eat unhealthy food

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM
*Ignore*

Quoting Anonymous:

So just because they are emotionally younger that means they are indefinitely excluded from punishments/consequences? Good to know. Will remember.

My nephew has autism BTW and my sister and I lived together for a long, long time as roommates. He does have consequences and rules to follow. He's 13 in case anyone asks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN