Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9:30 is too late of a bedtime?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 40 Replies

Someone actually had the nerve to say this to me at the gym last night. It was about 8:30. She was talking to my son and asked why he wasn't in bed yet. I told her he doesn't go to bed until 9:30. She told me that was too late and acted like I was hitting the boy in the face or something.

My son is five. I've tried to get him in bed before then, but he always gets up and cries. So I pushed bedtime back to 9:30 and he falls asleep within ten minutes. Sure, he still gets up some nights but at least I'm not fighting him for an hour trying to get him to go to sleep. He takes a two hour nap at preschool and never wakes up before 7. I will re-evaluate this if he s tired when he starts kindergarten (do they still have naps?) but until then, it's what works for him.

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Whatever works

My 4yo goes to bed between 8 and 8:30 and he wakes up at 7 every morning

TugBoatMama
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM

My kids' bedtime has been 9 pm since they were infants. That's only 30 minutes later than my kids. You're fine. If the kids are bright eyed and bushy tailed the next day no big deal.

2girlsandadream
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM
That would be way to late for my 6 y o but she gets up for kindergarden at 645 in the morning and is there til 4 pm.

Its not like you were dragging him around at midnight. which ive seen alot where i live, even kids i know are going to school the next day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KaRaBaSsEtT
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM
That's very late for our house! My kids are 3, 5, 7 & 8 and they go to bed at 7 & 730. BUT that is what works best for us. We get up early so we goo down early :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTuree
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Isn't it recommended kids that age get 10-12 hours? Personally I would try to get that extra hour but since he naps during the day I think he's fine. I admit when I hear kids have late bedtimes I question how much sleep they get because of how early some schools around here start. Your case though seems fine.
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Every child is different. It's too late for my kids. Anything after 9 and they're a hot mess in the morning. Don't sweat it girl.
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

It would be too late for my 5 yr old....he goes to bed at 7pm..but he loves his sleep and needs at least 12 hours at night.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Yep. That's how it is in our house. DD is 5 and starts k in July.

Quoting SaraD1989:

Someone actually had the nerve to say this to me at the gym last night. It was about 8:30. She was talking to my son and asked why he wasn't in bed yet. I told her he doesn't go to bed until 9:30. She told me that was too late and acted like I was hitting the boy in the face or something.

My son is five. I've tried to get him in bed before then, but he always gets up and cries. So I pushed bedtime back to 9:30 and he falls asleep within ten minutes. Sure, he still gets up some nights but at least I'm not fighting him for an hour trying to get him to go to sleep. He takes a two hour nap at preschool and never wakes up before 7. I will re-evaluate this if he s tired when he starts kindergarten (do they still have naps?) but until then, it's what works for him.

Leobaby2007
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM
If your child takes a nap, it's completely normal that he would not sleep until 9:30! Hell, if my 5 year old napped, he'd be awake until MIDNIGHT!!!!! Ahhhhhhh! Lol. No worries. You're fine.
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM
My 5 year old goes to bed at 7. But if that works for you, that's all that matters.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured