Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Daughter Refuses to Ride a Bike!

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM
  • 83 Replies

My 8 year old is basically refusing to learn how to ride a bike.  I think it's a bit ridiculous that she's 8 and can't ride without training wheels, but she's just never wanted to.  When she was younger she just didn't care, but now she's becoming increasingly self-conscious about it, while simultaneously being more stubborn about it.  She's incredibly smart and academically advanced, but she's never been very athletically-inclined, and doesn't like tackling things she's not good at.  That's becoming a major problem in ALL aspects of her life.  

She's terrified of falling and hurting herself.  Hubby and I tried to talk to her rationally about this last weekend, but she's very emotionally sensitive and just broke down.  It took us over an hour to calm her down.  She's afraid she'll get hurt, she's afraid kids will make fun of her if she has bruises or cuts, she doesn't understand why she NEEDS to ride a bike, etc etc.

I'm really worried about her.  I know she'll regret not learning when she's older and it's just going to be more of a source of embarrassment.  She also doesn't want to go on her daycare field trip to the roller rink over spring break because she's "not good at it".  I've tried to explain that life is all about doing things you've never done before and taking risks, and that the only way to get better at something is to put yourself out there and DO it.  She won't listen.  She's very stubborn and won't listen to reason alot of the time.  I don't know what to do!  She NEEDS to learn how to ride a bike right?  Everyone should know how to ride a bike!   Any advice???

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

*bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Leave her the fuck alone. 

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Thanks. Very helpful. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Leave her the fuck alone. 

elliotmommytobe
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Idk my kids only 7 months old. My brother is 13 and still doesnt know how to ride a bike. Its not detrimental to her health so I wouldnt worry about it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BEXi
by BEXi on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Poor girl :(

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM

It's becoming detrmental to her emotional health.  She's incredibly self-conscious about her physical ability.  It's becoming a huge problem.  That doesn't bother your brother at all?

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

Idk my kids only 7 months old. My brother is 13 and still doesnt know how to ride a bike. Its not detrimental to her health so I wouldnt worry about it

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Thanks for the advice...

Quoting BEXi:

Leobaby2007
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
She'll do it when she's ready. I'm serious. Chillax.
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Oh, you have my DD's twin? I feel your pain.
BEXi
by BEXi on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I obviously dont have any, I BUMPED your post though.

Way to be a bitch.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Thanks for the advice...

Quoting BEXi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN