Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Making my son pay the cable/internet bill and exdh is pissed.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

My 20 year old son still lives at home. He doesn't pay rent or any of the necessity bills. He goes to school and has a really good job. 

We have really been struggling financially lately and I decided that we were going to get rid of the cable and internet because I couldn't afford it anymore. DS didn't want that so I told him that if he wants to pay it then we can keep it. He was A-okay with that so now he pays his cell phone bill and the cable/internet bill. I was paying his cell phone bill before but he wanted a smart phone so he upgraded to his own plan. 

Well exdh is pissed about this. Weird, right? Exdh gives ds a ride home from school on Tuesday and Thursdays and they talk about stuff. I guess ds told exdh about these new bills he had to pay and exdh is not happy. He thinks it's wrong that I'm making my child pay for "my tv" and "my computer". 

I told exdh he can fuss about it all he wants but if ds wants to pay it then that's his choice. I don't get why I'm the bad guy here. I was trying to be frugal and honestly I think this is good for ds. It's teaching him to be more responsible about his money--not saying that he wasn't before. He has really surprised me with how good he is at saving but I think this is really teaching him how to budget. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

bump

panther79
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM

you're fine. Sounds like your DS is learning that he needs to pay his way. 

chaosmommy
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Your son his 20...the ex needs to stop acting like he is 12 and using his birthday money. If your son is ok then ignore the ex.

Hell, ignore the ex anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Your son is an adult and your ex should just stfu.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM

then tell xdh to have the sponge come live with him. he's 20..he's lucky you havent kicked him out and made him support himself. at 20 i was a mother that not only ran a household but supported the household.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM

It is good for a 20 year old to have to help pay for stuff he will be using. Good for you Mom.  

Val99
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM

He isn't a child.  He's an adult and if he wants to live in a home that does not have cell phone or internet, he needs to pay for it.  Now if you are using his internet service it's a bit unfair to make him pay the whole thing.

Nicole1357
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Personally, I believe it is reasonable! He is no longer a child. I was out of my parents home by age 16. It's time learn responsibility. 

illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

If my 20 year old child lived at home I would have 0 guilt about charging them a couple hundred bucks per month to help with bills.

BluePandaDreams
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Tell the ex to fuck off. My own child is 20. At that age, they need some responsibilty or they get lazy and start to think life is a free ride. It is fair that if the young man wants the cable and internet and can pay for it so you all can continue to enjoy those things, let him have at it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)