Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Having my first baby! Vaginal or C-Section? **ETA**

Posted by   + Show Post

ETA:***I DO NOT WANT to have an elective c-section. I'm planning on vaginal. I'm simply CURIOUS about others experiences***

Hey ladies :) 

Alright, so I'm having my first baby, (BOY!) due May 1st. I had my 35 week sonogram today, and met with my Doc. Long story short, she's giving me the option of having either a natural childbirth OR an elective c-section. I've been planning to go natural this whole time, but I'm curious about c-sections.

Have you had an elective c-section?

Would you?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Replies (101-104):
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM
If i had a doctor that was suddenly mentioning cesarean at all, I'd find a new one even if i was a week away. Absolutely.

And no, the ACOG does NOT recommend it.

From their website:
Given the balance of risks and benefits associated with cesarean delivery on maternal request, the Committee on Obstetric Practice offers the following recommendations:In the absence of maternal or fetal indications for cesarean delivery, a plan for vaginal delivery is safe and appropriate and should be recommended.The following is recommended in cases in which cesarean delivery on maternal request is planned:— Cesarean delivery on maternal request should not be performed before a gestational age of 39 weeks.— Cesarean delivery on maternal request should not be motivated by the unavailability of effective pain management.— Cesarean delivery on maternal request particularly is not recommended for women desiring several children, given that the risks of placenta previa, placenta accreta, and gravid hysterectomy increase with each cesarean delivery.

Quoting kdloves.:

Really? A few weeks before I'm due I should go out & find a new doc?

Probably not. I'll definitely be more weary now when I go into labor though. I don't want to end up having a csection unless it's an emergency. What's weird is she's been pushing vaginal delivery this entire time, then gave me the option.

Apparently, voluntary csections are not that uncommon. A lot of docs do them, it's just controversial. They've been approved my the ACOG to be done without medical need.

Quoting ColieO:

You do. Run. Far away.

Quoting kdloves.:

No reason.... I'm planning on vaginal. Now I feel like I have a bad dr :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Why are you being offered a c-section?

I had a c-section, it was a really positive experience and I have only good things to say about it.  HOWEVER, there is no two ways about it, it is abdominal surgery, and avoiding surgery is a good thing. Healing time is quicker, get back on your feet quicker, all in all, it is just a better choice.  If someone needs a c-section, that is one thing, I guess, after having one, and having one I am very happy with, I would still choose vaginal birth.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kdloves.
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM

All the website shows are the benefits & risks associated with the procedure. It's obviously not something that's first recommended (when vaginal birth is an option) but IF it wasn't allowed by the ACOG, she's lose her license! Along with all the hundreds of other doctors who offer this option. 
Are you older? My mom is also very tripped out by this. That's why I ask.

It's not uncommon, from what I've heard from other mothers who've given birth recently. The website even states how it's grown in popularity throughout the last few years. 

I'm really paranoid since it's my first. I wouldn't want to risk her easily opting for a csection while I'm in labor for some minuscule reason. Kwim? Maybe that's just me being over paranoid though. I'm gonna talk to her about how I'm feeling about all of this next week when I see her. It's not like she tried to push the issue. She just mentioned the option was there. She pushes for a vaginal delivery. 

Quoting ColieO:

If i had a doctor that was suddenly mentioning cesarean at all, I'd find a new one even if i was a week away. Absolutely.

From their website:
Given the balance of risks and benefits associated with cesarean delivery on maternal request, the Committee on Obstetric Practice offers the following recommendations:In the absence of maternal or fetal indications for cesarean delivery, a plan for vaginal delivery is safe and appropriate and should be recommended.The following is recommended in cases in which cesarean delivery on maternal request is planned:— Cesarean delivery on maternal request should not be performed before a gestational age of 39 weeks.— Cesarean delivery on maternal request should not be motivated by the unavailability of effective pain management.— Cesarean delivery on maternal request particularly is not recommended for women desiring several children, given that the risks of placenta previa, placenta accreta, and gravid hysterectomy increase with each cesarean delivery.

Quoting kdloves.:

Probably not. I'll definitely be more weary now when I go into labor though. I don't want to end up having a csection unless it's an emergency. What's weird is she's been pushing vaginal delivery this entire time, then gave me the option.

Apparently, voluntary csections are not that uncommon. A lot of docs do them, it's just controversial. They've been approved my the ACOG to be done without medical need.

Quoting ColieO:

You do. Run. Far away.

Quoting kdloves.:

Quoting Anonymous:

I had a c-section, it was a really positive experience and I have only good things to say about it.  HOWEVER, there is no two ways about it, it is abdominal surgery, and avoiding surgery is a good thing. Healing time is quicker, get back on your feet quicker, all in all, it is just a better choice.  If someone needs a c-section, that is one thing, I guess, after having one, and having one I am very happy with, I would still choose vaginal birth.  

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Many organizations are trying to ban elective c sections, for good reason. The ACOG does not recommend it though. See the highlighted part. Vaginal birth is recommended.

I'm not older. I'm 25. I just don't trust money hungry doctors who profit off these major surgeries, or are too lazy to wait for a baby to make their own entrance on their own time. Csection has risen in popularity due to uneducated women who don't know their options and have knife happy doctors who fill their heads with lies.

I had a doctor and she wasn't perfect, but she was clear that Csection was only an option IF it was a true EMERGENCY. As it should be used.

Quoting kdloves.:

All the website shows are the benefits & risks associated with the procedure. It's obviously not something that's first recommended (when vaginal birth is an option) but IF it wasn't allowed by the ACOG, she's lose her license! Along with all the hundreds of other doctors who offer this option. 

It's not uncommon, from what I've heard from other mothers who've given birth recently. The website even states how it's grown in popularity throughout the last few years. 

I'm really paranoid since it's my first. I wouldn't want to risk her easily opting for a csection while I'm in labor for some minuscule reason. Kwim? Maybe that's just me being over paranoid though. I'm gonna talk to her about how I'm feeling about all of this next week when I see her. It's not like she tried to push the issue. She just mentioned the option was there. She pushes for a vaginal delivery. 

Quoting ColieO:

From their website:
Given the balance of risks and benefits associated with cesarean delivery on maternal request, the Committee on Obstetric Practice offers the following recommendations:In the absence of maternal or fetal indications for cesarean delivery, a plan for vaginal delivery is safe and appropriate and recommended. The following is recommended in cases in which cesarean delivery on maternal request is planned:— Cesarean delivery on maternal request should not be performed before a gestational age of 39 weeks.— Cesarean delivery on maternal request should not be motivated by the unavailability of effective pain management.— Cesarean delivery on maternal request particularly is not recommended for women desiring several children, given that the risks of placenta previa, placenta accreta, and gravid hysterectomy increase with each cesarean delivery.

Quoting kdloves.:

Quoting ColieO:

You do. Run. Far away.

Quoting kdloves.:

Quoting Anonymous:

kdloves.
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Yeah, I read that they we not recommended on the site. I'm planning on vaginal birth, so hopefully everything goes as planned. I would never opt for a csection on my own, but I was still really curious about what others experiences have been with it. 

Quoting ColieO:

Many organizations are trying to ban elective c sections, for good reason. The ACOG does not recommend it though. See the highlighted part. Vaginal birth is recommended.

I'm not older. I'm 25. I just don't trust money hungry doctors who profit off these major surgeries, or are too lazy to wait for a baby to make their own entrance on their own time. Csection has risen in popularity due to uneducated women who don't know their options and have knife happy doctors who fill their heads with lies.

I had a doctor and she wasn't perfect, but she was clear that Csection was only an option IF it was a true EMERGENCY. As it should be used.

Quoting kdloves.:

Quoting ColieO:

From their website:
Given the balance of risks and benefits associated with cesarean delivery on maternal request, the Committee on Obstetric Practice offers the following recommendations:In the absence of maternal or fetal indications for cesarean delivery, a plan for vaginal delivery is safe and appropriate and recommended. The following is recommended in cases in which cesarean delivery on maternal request is planned:— Cesarean delivery on maternal request should not be performed before a gestational age of 39 weeks.— Cesarean delivery on maternal request should not be motivated by the unavailability of effective pain management.— Cesarean delivery on maternal request particularly is not recommended for women desiring several children, given that the risks of placenta previa, placenta accreta, and gravid hysterectomy increase with each cesarean delivery.

Quoting kdloves.:

Quoting ColieO:

You do. Run. Far away.

Quoting kdloves.:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)