Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My conffesion

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 11 Replies

I am really struggling in math this semester,  I required my kids keep grades of b or above and I have a C. I need to get this up so I am keeping to the same standards I hold my children to. I always tell them if they do the work and participate they will get good grades. I am doing all that and still have a mid range C. I am so disappointed in my grades this semester so far. :(

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Is there tutoring or anything you can go to for extra help?

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Math is just really hard for some people.  I coudlnt do fractions until my senior year of HS.  I had made it all the way to Algebra II without knowing how to do them, lol!  The first day of class the teacher tried to give us some to do.....we all gave her a blank stare.  She had to start our whole class over from like 1st grade math on fractions.  But it FINALLY clicked with me!  Sometimes it just takes the right instructor. 

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I suck at math too :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
curlycupcake
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe this is a reminder to you that we all struggle sometimes. The best example you set for your kids is to let them see you struggle & do your best. Let them see its hard & you trying your best. We can't always achieve our goals. It's good that your kids know that it's the effort that counts more than the end results sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chattycassie
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM

They do offer tutoring and my teacher recomends it if needed. My biggest issues with getting the tutoring is the time. I work 5 days a week  have school 4 days a week. I have Monday and Wed free after work but use that for kids appts ect. I NEED to get there to get some help the quadratic equations and killing me I have NO clue how to make them work. :(

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

chattycassie
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM

My 11 y/o daughter who is in 5th grade just dosent get fractions either. :(  Homework last night took forever he dosent seem to get how to find the common denominator. Man math is HARD

Quoting Stephd710:

Math is just really hard for some people.  I coudlnt do fractions until my senior year of HS.  I had made it all the way to Algebra II without knowing how to do them, lol!  The first day of class the teacher tried to give us some to do.....we all gave her a blank stare.  She had to start our whole class over from like 1st grade math on fractions.  But it FINALLY clicked with me!  Sometimes it just takes the right instructor. 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM

You're going to have to make tutoring a priority and choose a Mon or Wed to go there. If you keep making excuses your grades will never improve.

Quoting chattycassie:

They do offer tutoring and my teacher recomends it if needed. My biggest issues with getting the tutoring is the time. I work 5 days a week  have school 4 days a week. I have Monday and Wed free after work but use that for kids appts ect. I NEED to get there to get some help the quadratic equations and killing me I have NO clue how to make them work. :(

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

chattycassie
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

This is great advise thank you so much for taking the time to comment. You are totally right, I just have a hard time accepting that I CANT always make my goals. I so need to work on that.

Quoting curlycupcake:

Maybe this is a reminder to you that we all struggle sometimes. The best example you set for your kids is to let them see you struggle & do your best. Let them see its hard & you trying your best. We can't always achieve our goals. It's good that your kids know that it's the effort that counts more than the end results sometimes.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

well I took a few basic into classes when I took my math classes and didnt schedule a full load so I could devote to math. I also allowed my hubby to tutor me with math, we argued over it and made it into a competition (No Im right your wrong) I know sounds crazy but the re-direct focusing on the math to try and beat him made it challenging and I actually passed! With a B :)

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM

They are really hard if you dont click with the instructors methods.  

Quoting chattycassie:

My 11 y/o daughter who is in 5th grade just dosent get fractions either. :(  Homework last night took forever he dosent seem to get how to find the common denominator. Man math is HARD

Quoting Stephd710:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)