Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DH's ex is harassing us because we are taking the kids to church.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 105 Replies
2 moms liked this

She is an athiest and expected to raise her children that way. When they were together, never married, DH was agnostic. When they split, they had 2 kids ages 6 months and the other was 4 years old. At that time, a friend of DH's started getting him to go to church, which is where me and DH met.

Now we are married and have been for 3 months and we go every Sunday. I have a child of my own and his kids are 2 1/2 and 6 years old. We have been going back and fourth about what to do on the Sunday we have the kids, he wants to take them but doesn't want a fight with their mom.Up until about 6 months ago, he only had visitation every other Friday night till Saturday evening but he went back to court to get more time and the judge gave him every other Friday afternoon, after the oldest gets out of school, till monday morning when the oldest goes to school, plus every wednesday plus he gets half of the breaks and half of the summer.

DH realized that they are his kids too and he should be allowed to take them to church  on his time. Last time we had them, we took them and BM flipped about it (he has taken them a few times before but BM didn't know about it, now she blames me for it). We have also decided to go to church Wednesday evening so they will be with us then too.

She blames me for it because I have always gone to church and she thinks I am the one who is pushing it. They way I see it, when you don't stay with your child's other parent, you will have to accept the fact that they may do things differently when they have the kids then you do.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM

BUMP!

kiddycat73
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Unless he is endangering them, she has no say over what he does with them on his time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krissy920
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I think you guys ar eall adults, id let the child decide if he or she wants to go to church or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Well they both like going. Now IMO I don't let my child decide, she likes going but even if she didn't her butt would be going because that is what our family does.

Quoting krissy920:

I think you guys ar eall adults, id let the child decide if he or she wants to go to church or not.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
The courts will say that he can send them to church on his time and she can do as she wishes on her time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I agree with you 100%
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Yeah, I feel sad for them that they don't get to go on our time because they love it and all they do at her house on Sunday is sleep in but it is what it is.

Quoting owl0210:

The courts will say that he can send them to church on his time and she can do as she wishes on her time.

JZB
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Of all the things to get worked up about
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KTU
by Kim on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM
3 moms liked this

I think the children should be taught both parents beliefs. When they get old enough to make that decision for themselves, then they can do that. But until then, I think your husband has every right to take his children to church.

SP_Mama
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM

DH's custody agreement says that both parents have the right to deem what religious activities happen during their respective times.  I think that's pretty normal.  Your DH should have just as much right taking his children to court as the mom to teach them her views.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)