Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Talking about sex with your kids [POLL]

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
  • 74 Replies

Poll

Question: When it comes to talking about sex with your kids, are you:

Options:

Very open and direct

Somewhat uncomfortable but I do it anyway

Totally uptight - I'd rather give them a book about it

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 309

View Results

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsCountryMama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM
My ds is 11 I didn't think it was time for the sex talk until I saw girls in his class texting him questions like do you like me, would you go out with so n so and do you have a girlfriend. When he wouldn't answer them the girls started making fun of him and calling him gay.

I started to talk to him when different things on tv had to do with sex. Overall I want him to know it's very much ok that he's not ready for a girlfriend and when he is it's ok to talk to me about.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I plan on being open with them, my oldest is only 7 so it really hasn't come up.
Octobersmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:10 AM

My daughter's almost 8 so sex issues have been things like breasts and periods not intercourse yet.  I homeschool though so sex ed is 100% on me and I plan to do it well so that she's not traumatized by 'the talk' like I was....I got mine at 8 and it involved hand gestures.  It ended with "Now you know how to do it so don't." *shiver*

Pnukey
by Jenn on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Open and direct, but also uncomfortable. I also provide books for individual study. I want to be the one giving them information, and correcting the misinformation they get from friends.

mrscass0416
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM
They are to young but when the time comes we will be open honest and straight forward. I don't want them to get the wrong ideas from friends, like I did
LovelyMommy24
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I will be very open and direct. My oldest is only four and hasn't had any questions yet.
Casperstalks
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Currently, we've only had the 3-year-old curiosity such as "What makes me a girl and Daddy a boy??" and I told her straight up what boys have and what girls have. She seemed satisfied with that, so until she asks more questions, that's all we're going over.

Oh, and she knows that girls need "bandaids" for their montly issues, but doesn't know why quite yet.

When she does ask, or around 7/8 year mark, then I'll probably go into female development, and if she wants, I'll explain male development. 

Then after her first period, we'll talk about sex and babies.

At least that's how it's going in my head. xD

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM
3 moms liked this

Open and direct!! Sex is natural and wonderful, I want them to feel that they can always come to me with anything without fear of judgement or punishment.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:19 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Casperstalks:

Currently, we've only had the 3-year-old curiosity such as "What makes me a girl and Daddy a boy??" and I told her straight up what boys have and what girls have. She seemed satisfied with that, so until she asks more questions, that's all we're going over.

Oh, and she knows that girls need "bandaids" for their montly issues, but doesn't know why quite yet.

When she does ask, or around 7/8 year mark, then I'll probably go into female development, and if she wants, I'll explain male development. 

Then after her first period, we'll talk about sex and babies.

At least that's how it's going in my head. xD

Sex and babies will come a lot sooner then you think!! My kids started asking about sex and babies around 5 years old. I bought a book called 'It's not the storck' and we read it together. It is a great book that talks about sex and babies at an age appropriate level.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/its-not-the-stork-robie-h-harris/1009071631?ean=9780763633318

It's Not the Stork: A Book about Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families and Friends

It's Not the Stork: A Book about Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families and Friends

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Luv_my_hubby
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this
We have always been open and honest with our kids. I was a teen parent and I didn't want them to struggle like I did. I had a parent who was oober controlling about BC and even talking about anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)