Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

small dog owners. help please

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
I just got a Chihuahua last night. Any suggestions or advice?

He seems like a sweet little guy. He has been nuetered and is up to date on his shots. He is very patient and seems pretty mild. He has had a few times where he runs around like a cat but for the most part he is pretty calm. The previous owners said he is 3 years old.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm no help but here's a bump. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM

what do you need to know ??  Have done any research at all on Chihuahuas ?  Book an appointment with your vet, read websites , there's a ton of them out there, talk to a dog trainer ...

happymama2D
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not sure what advice you are looking for, but I had a Chi and she was very sweet. They shake a lot and she would bark at everything .... doorbell on TV, leaf blowing across the yard ... Lol! She preferred adults over children and loved to sleep under the cover by my feet. She loved going on walks. Be careful not to overfeed as they can get fat!! If you have specific questions, let me know. Oh, and they love to lick faces!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I need to know any and everything. I've done a bit of reading up this morning. One of our neighbors was moving and they said they were taking the dog to the local shelter because they couldn't take him with them and hadn't found anyone who would take him. Our shelter is a bad place. So, I said I'd take him for now. I was going to contact a rescue but I like the little guy. I greq up around dogs but never little ones. I do know they can be a bit different from the big breeds. I don't have a vet right now but I think I am just going to keep taking him where he has been going.

Quoting Jinxed8:

what do you need to know ??  Have done any research at all on Chihuahuas ?  Book an appointment with your vet, read websites , there's a ton of them out there, talk to a dog trainer ...

VannaMae307
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM

What kind of advice do you need? I have a sweet chihuahua too, they're rare but not like, unicorn rare.

Be consistent about potty training and if it seems like he is getting agitated, leave him alone. Even the sweetest chihuahuas get nervous and will defend themselves, it's just because they're so little. Mine is 5 1/2 lbs and sweet as pie but won't tolerate ear/tail pulling.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Here's a pretty good reference page :

http://www.vetstreet.com/dogs/chihuahua

Quoting Anonymous:

I need to know any and everything. I've done a bit of reading up this morning. One of our neighbors was moving and they said they were taking the dog to the local shelter because they couldn't take him with them and hadn't found anyone who would take him. Our shelter is a bad place. So, I said I'd take him for now. I was going to contact a rescue but I like the little guy. I greq up around dogs but never little ones. I do know they can be a bit different from the big breeds. I don't have a vet right now but I think I am just going to keep taking him where he has been going.

Quoting Jinxed8:

VannaMae307
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Also as far as a bed, get him some blankets and make it easy for him to burrow. Mine is like a little groundhog when it comes to burying herself, she'll go as deep as the layers go and curl herself up. Mine is naked and has some bald spots so she looooves to be warm. Make sure he has his own space that he can feel safe in. Don't let him jump down off a high bed,  he'll land well but it will hurt his little joints after a while, chihuahuas don't have a good shock/suspension system lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Any advice! Lol
I noticed the shaking and it kinda worried me. The only thing he barks at so far are our guinea pigs squeaking. He does seem to prefer me or dh but is good with the kids too. He's sleeping in my son's lap right now. And omg yes, we thought it was so funny when he crawled under the covers when we went to bed. How much do I feed him? He doesn't seem to want much to eat.

Quoting happymama2D:

I'm not sure what advice you are looking for, but I had a Chi and she was very sweet. They shake a lot and she would bark at everything .... doorbell on TV, leaf blowing across the yard ... Lol! She preferred adults over children and loved to sleep under the cover by my feet. She loved going on walks. Be careful not to overfeed as they can get fat!! If you have specific questions, let me know. Oh, and they love to lick faces!!
VannaMae307
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM

ALSO get him a harness-style instead of a neck collar for walking him. Harnesses will take the pressure off their little neck, so the pulling and stuff won't hurt them. How big is he?

VannaMae307
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I give mine 1/2 a cup of food and she eats it throughout the day. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Any advice! Lol
I noticed the shaking and it kinda worried me. The only thing he barks at so far are our guinea pigs squeaking. He does seem to prefer me or dh but is good with the kids too. He's sleeping in my son's lap right now. And omg yes, we thought it was so funny when he crawled under the covers when we went to bed. How much do I feed him? He doesn't seem to want much to eat.

Quoting happymama2D:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)