Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Online class help, please!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

A class that I needed was offered online only so I reluctantly signed up. The teacher could be dead for all I know. She usually "shows up" mid week and posts an assignment that is due on Sunday. Fine. Sometimes she forgets and will make one assignment last 2 weeks since she didn't get to it on time. We are on week 11 (of 18, but week 18 is just finals week, so 6 weeks of "class" left) and we have done a grand total of 5 assignments.

It is Thursday. No word from her. 

Uh, am I going to be able to use this class towards graduation? I'm scared to ask because I'd like to graduate on time. Is this how online classes normally are? 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Probably a question for the dean, since CM doesn't dictate the course requirements...
AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM
No, they are usually not structured like that. At least none of the ones I have taken. I'd email the instructor about this. If you don't get a response, call her. If that doesn't work take it to the dean of the department. That usually does the trick when you have such unorganized instructors.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I figured someone on here has taken an online class before and knew if this was normal. I don't want to go tattle if this is "normal." I haven't taken an online class before!

Quoting Anonymous:

Probably a question for the dean, since CM doesn't dictate the course requirements...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I have emailed her. She responds to emails quick, then usually says she will post an assignment by x day at x time and never meets her own deadlines.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

No, they are usually not structured like that. At least none of the ones I have taken. I'd email the instructor about this. If you don't get a response, call her. If that doesn't work take it to the dean of the department. That usually does the trick when you have such unorganized instructors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this
As long as its through a regional college/university your fine . It's her own fault if she only give 5 assignments. Make sure you maintain a high grade and you will do fine. I had a lazy one like that myself once . If your not sure speak with guidance they should help you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM

We have regional accreditation and the school was just renewed for the full 10 years. I just feel like I'm doing 1/10 of the work as if I had taken the class on campus and feel guilty, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

As long as its through a regional college/university your fine . It's her own fault if she only give 5 assignments. Make sure you maintain a high grade and you will do fine. I had a lazy one like that myself once . If your not sure speak with guidance they should help you.

easternwamom
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM
I took 3 quarters of online classes and none of them were like that. We always had weekly assignments and online quizzes and tests. We also had posting requirements were we had to post on a message board a certain number of times a week to show we were participating in the class. All of my classes were very structured. They were offered through the local community college. I would speak to the head of the department if this teacher is not doing her job. If that doesn't help go to the dean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM
We have regional accreditation and the school was just renewed for the full 10 years. I just feel like I'm doing 1/10 of the work as if I had taken the class on campus and feel guilty, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then your good you just happen to have a lazy professor. Seriously do your best no matter what and focus on your harder classes if you have any and put all your energy in them. It will be over soon;) yaay congrats BTW.
AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM

As long as she gives you enough time to finish the assignment, I probably would not do anything. Yes, it is annoying but in the end this class will count just like any other. Have you looked her up on ratemyprofessor.com before you signed up for this class? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I have emailed her. She responds to emails quick, then usually says she will post an assignment by x day at x time and never meets her own deadlines.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I did look her up before this class. Her ratings were horrid, but more along the lines of how she is picky and demanding. No one said she forgets to even given assignments!

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

As long as she gives you enough time to finish the assignment, I probably would not do anything. Yes, it is annoying but in the end this class will count just like any other. Have you looked her up on ratemyprofessor.com before you signed up for this class? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)