Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Controversy! Do grandparents have the same rights as parents?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 74 Replies

Do grandparents have the right to tell your child what to do?  Are grandparents basically like second sets of parents to our kids?

My ds's grandmother sometimes asks my son to do things, and he politely says, "No, thank you", and I do not correct him.  In my opinion, he is not obligated to fulfil any requests of his grandparents that he doesn't want to (within reason, of course.  I mean, if grandpa is telling him to stop climbing on the table, then that's a safety issue). He doesn't have to hug and kiss grandma is he doesn't want to either.

How do you all feel? 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_cullum
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Grandparents have no rights that's how I feel.

Edit-as far as raising goes. Now he a grandparents asked a child for help then its up to the child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ALXtheg8
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm the parent. But my child will respect them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I try to teach my kids to respect their grandparents. If their being watched by them, then I most certainly expect that they will listen to whatever is said. Haviing to hug and kiss them? No, I do not adhere to that nonsense, unless my kid wants to. I have had to tell my MIL a few times that my girls are not her kids. Her job is to love them not raise them.

Val99
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM
4 moms liked this

If an adult asks a child to do something (not a pervert, but a family member) I would have expected my children to behave with respect and comply, if at all possible.  Children aren't intended to have complete free will because their brains aren't developed yet.  How we train them helps them behave respectfully through life.

DixieL
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM

My mom had the same rights as I did, as far as I was concerned. My son was her heart and soul, and he loved her just as much. I was so happy that they had each other, in case something had happened to me. My son even called my mom, mom and that didn't bother me. I hope you and your family have a very Happy Easter.

caito
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Absolutely not. Not unless the grandparent is the legal guardian of the child.

One-n-Counting
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

My parents ask me before they "tell" my kids to do something. I think kids should respect their elders. 

GagaNTattooS
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Mine have as much right as I do. But that's me . In our family you don't tell grams No.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think grandparents have the same rights as parents, but if a grandparent asks my child to do something they do it. Same with any adult family member.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My children are expected to listen to my parents. My parents would never tell them things just because they can or to mean . If grandma says ' sweety don't touch that - they BEST not touch it.

Why don't people trust their parents and teach respect?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)