Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For my son's 1st birthday...

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM
  • 15 Replies
Would it be terrible of me to NOT invite my whole family over?
I mean, we'll obviously still celebrate. But I don't want like, my uncles and aunts and cousins and stuff here.
I'm sure my dad will stop by, but that's fine because Shane rarely gets to see him.
We just want something quieter, like me, SO, and DS have lunch or dinner together (depending on SO's work schedule) and bake a cake or even buy a cake from DQ.

I don't know... would it be mean to not have a huge party for him?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM
2 moms liked this

He's one...he won't remember whether he had a huge party or a small family gathering.

Do what works best for you.

weaveress
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM

the question is your family going to be pissed. make reservations at a local restauran for x amount of people. invite everyone tell its buy your own meal. you serve cupcakes. do this on a weekend around his bday. 

then spend his bday just you and dh with him. 

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM

It's YOUR son so it's YOUR choice. And it's not like he will remember it anyways.

ShanesMommy2012
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM
My family wouldn't care either way.

Quoting weaveress:

the question is your family going to be pissed. make reservations at a local restauran for x amount of people. invite everyone tell its buy your own meal. you serve cupcakes. do this on a weekend around his bday. 

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I think your son with appreciate it too.  When he gets older like 3 years he will enjoy it when it is slightly bigger.  This is coming from my experience and I have heard others feel the same.

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

my oldest dd cried in the middle of her first birthday party. at first she was ok, but we had a lot of people come over, it was noisy, and it was too much for her. She is a shy, quiet child to this day. I'd say it depends on his personality.

ShanesMommy2012
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:54 PM
He's pretty shy too.

Quoting peachesforme:

my oldest dd cried in the middle of her first birthday party. at first she was ok, but we had a lot of people come over, it was noisy, and it was too much for her. She is a shy, quiet child to this day. I'd say it depends on his personality.

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM

We do first birthdays with just our family and godparents, but we aren't close with our extended family. I guess it depends on if it would be really important to your family to be there. It doesn't have to be huge, I actually discourage huge parties for first birthdays, but personally I would just make sure anyone who really wants to be there can be there for our small celebration.

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ShanesMommy2012:

He's pretty shy too.

Quoting peachesforme:

maybe keep it small then, or one day hang out with half the fam, next day the other half .   wink

weaveress
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM

well then just snuggle with your birthday boy all day. my family would rip me a new one if we didn't do something.

Quoting ShanesMommy2012:

My family wouldn't care either way.

Quoting weaveress:

Kasi Lynn, Calvin David, & Lilith Jade's Mommy
The Work will wait while you show the child the RAINBOW, but the rainbow won't wait while you do your work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN