Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Do any ex smokers have any tips on quiting?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
KlingyMomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm quitting!!! 15 days strong so far!!! It is incredibly hard. That is for sure.

I started by cutting down. I bought a pack of 100s and started smoking half a cig instead ofca full one. Then I would only let my self smoke half a cig every two hours. Then every 3 hours. I got down from a pack a day to a pack every five days. I was stuck like that for a month. Then I decided I was going to go cold turkey from there. I KNEW if I didn't I would start smoking MORE again.

The 2nd day was the hardest for me. I was mean and irritable and anxious. Then it was easier. I still am having dreams of smoking, I want one so bad. I am constantly telling myself "no! I cannot smoke 'just one'" when that urge gets SO strong.

15 days. 16 tomorrow. I can do this!!! And so can you! Good luck!
LuvsHopesDreams
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Same here.

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

Well my dh is a smoker and doesnt want to quit

Quoting -42-:

Keep your hands busy and keep gum on hand.

And stay away from smokers for as long as you can.

steffielou_who
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Play a video game, go ride a bike, go on a walk,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KlingyMomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I go around smokers all the time. Will power baby. Makes me MORE confident I CAN quit. Lol

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

Well my dh is a smoker and doesnt want to quit

Quoting -42-:

LuvsHopesDreams
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm already going to give up smoking; I don't want to give up my hubby and the "fringe benefits" too.  :)

Quoting Mrs.Godfrey:

i tried quitting so many times when i was with my ex husband...  he was a smoker and that never panned out well... as soon as we divorced and he moved out.. i quit... i just hit my year mark... i didnt have to work at it this time... i was just ready.... gl to you !

-42-
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I just made sure to stay busy. Even if it was just playing a game on my phone. Keep healthy snacks, like cut up raw veggies, handy. The crunching occupies and satisfies the oral fixation. And I wanted to eat everything while quitting, so make it healthy!

Reward yourself. Get a manicure now that you wouldn't want stained. A new shampoo or perfume that you enjoy smelling. Set short term goals with rewards, and then set a long term goal, like a year smoke free with an awesome reward.

I weaned myself off of them. I bought my 'last pack', and a pack would last me at least a week. My last three days smoking, I only smoked once a day. Just try to keep yourself from getting bored, that's when it was hardest for me to resist a smoke break.
illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Buy yourself patches and don't just try to cold turkey it. Then, go over to a friend's house and sign a document with witnesses saying that for every single time you smoke, even if its only for one second, you will donate $10 to some group that you strongly oppose. 

Then, when you want to smoke you will feel guilty and be angry that you'd be donating to something that you don't believe in.

-42-
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Maybe when he sees how good you feel not smoking, he'll be inspired to quit too!

Good luck, mama!

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

It will be a little hard to stay away from my hubby, but I'm going to make it clear that he cannot just leave his cigs lying around--and NOT to smoke around me. 

Quoting -42-:

KlingyMomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:39 PM
YES!! I LOVE that I smell like shampoo and body spray instead if smoke :-) :-) :-)

Quoting -42-:

I just made sure to stay busy. Even if it was just playing a game on my phone. Keep healthy snacks, like cut up raw veggies, handy. The crunching occupies and satisfies the oral fixation. And I wanted to eat everything while quitting, so make it healthy!

Reward yourself. Get a manicure now that you wouldn't want stained. A new shampoo or perfume that you enjoy smelling. Set short term goals with rewards, and then set a long term goal, like a year smoke free with an awesome reward.

I weaned myself off of them. I bought my 'last pack', and a pack would last me at least a week. My last three days smoking, I only smoked once a day. Just try to keep yourself from getting bored, that's when it was hardest for me to resist a smoke break.
LuvsHopesDreams
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Thanks!

Quoting -42-:

Maybe when he sees how good you feel not smoking, he'll be inspired to quit too!

Good luck, mama!

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

It will be a little hard to stay away from my hubby, but I'm going to make it clear that he cannot just leave his cigs lying around--and NOT to smoke around me. 

Quoting -42-:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)