Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why would you want so many kids?!

Posted by   + Show Post
Hey moms,

It seems that big families are on the rise again or the new family trend these days.

I'm just wondering why so many of you are choosing to have big familes? (More than 3 kids)

How many kids do you have now and are you planning on having more?

How do you afford it and how are you able to care for so many kids?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
conweis
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:11 AM
4 moms liked this
Cloth diapers , breast feeding and hand me downs save a lot of money.

VannaMae307
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:11 AM

This is exactly how I feel too. I have my one child and can't have more, but even if I could I would plan it so carefully that I would still be able to pay for college, family vacations, good food, school activities, sports, birthday parties, summer camp, musical instruments....etc etc. I ended up with only one and want to give him absolutely everything. I'd pull the moon down for him if I could. To ME, that is the level I want to provide for my child (or children if I could have had more).

Quoting Anonymous:

Most of the large families I know have a different definition of being able to afford kids than my husband and I do. They think "afford" means providing the bare minimum, while we think savings accounts, vacations, activities, and extras are all part of the package. I personally wouldn't have another kid if I was already struggling to make ends meet, but one of my friends is fine with it because they'll have "enough" money by pulling their existing children out of the sports/activities they're currently involved in. 

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:12 AM

We have six and we have always lived fairly simply.

jojo_star
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:12 AM
3 moms liked this

We have 4 children, though we didn't really plan it this way. I had my first at 13, so I already had a child when we met. My husband had a son from a previous relationship. Then, we received custody of our niece and nephew when they lost their parents. We would like more children, though after three losses, I don't think we will ever have one together, but adoption is a definite option. We can afford it because we both have very good jobs. We care for so many kids because we want to, and because we love our children, and we work together to make it work. 

amber057
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I am a mother of:
3 boys
1 step-daughter.
Can't have anymore :(
nataliesmom2012
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM

We have 3 (we have DD together and he has two from his past marriage) and we would like 2 more. All my life, I've dreamed about having a large family. We plan on spacing them all out a few years. That will give us ample time to save up for each child and by the time we would have our last, the oldest would be 18.

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank you. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, I don't really see it as being noble, just my duty. Children need someone to protect them and care for them, and I can't guarentee they would be getting that in a foster home.

Quoting LiDoMama:

We have a very similar viewpoint on this. Also I commend you for raising your siblings. That's a very noble thing to do.

Quoting LucyHarper:

We have five, soon to be six kids. We plan on having 2-3 more. We both wanted a big family and half of our kids sort of fell into our laps. My three eldest are my siblings whom I'm the guardian of, my 5 year old son is my stepson whom I adopted. My youngest son and the child who I am pregnant with now are my biological children, both of whom were planned. Our number of kids have nothing to do with being trendy, we simply love children and are able to care for many of them. Raising children really isn't all that expensive if you plan right. We have a pretty low income, about 40K a year, and we live comfortably. We budget and go without a lot of things that most people have, but don't really need, so we are able to provide everything that our kids need. We also balance our time so we spend a lot of time with them and we make sure to give each child individual attention, deal with their individual needs, and take an interest in their individual interests. All of our kids are fed, clothed, have a roof over their heads, and have a lot of people who love them. 

Nickie76
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I have 7 and 4 step children and totally love my life. We live comfortably, and to avoid confusion there is a set of triplets and a set of twins :) I wouldn't change a thing.
heresjohnny
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM
3 moms liked this

Fuck you. My family size isn't a "trend." I didn't choose the number of kids based on what other people do. DH and I love children, and couldn't imagine a life without a house full of kids. And yes, we actually planned to have a large family. We have 5. We would have had more, but didn't feel like buying a new car to accommodate any more than that, lol.

Mweddle
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I have 4 and I don't know if I am done.  I can't decide.  We make enough for me to stay home and suport them.  We don't have much debt and we  don't make new debt.  We also make a budget.  I didn't really choose to have a big family.   And it certainly wasn't because it was "trendy".  It just happened that way and now that I have 4, I cant say I am done. It's crazy but I think I could happily raise a few more!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)