Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mormons...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Every Mormon I've met or Mormon mommy blog I've seen online has been nothing but perfection. These people are really ecstatic about life. It amazes me. They all seem to have nice stuff too. Nice jobs, nice houses, nice kids, etc.

Mormons, what is te secret?!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (41-50):
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Do you only read what you feel like? Did I not say psychotic individuals? It's not a teaching, it's a personal choice.

Quoting Anonymous:

So that comprises the entirety of the Mormon community?

Quoting ColieO:

I'm an ex member with 90% of my immediate and extended family members. I think I know how it works.

Quoting Anonymous:

http://www.exmormon.org/

Must be some damn good koolaid.

Quoting ColieO:

Oh my God. No. They don't. Are there psychotic individuals that do? Sure. But it's not anything the church teaches.

Quoting Anonymous:

Family values look good when you believe in excommunicating family members that don't believe the same.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:40 AM
They are very good at appearing to be perfect and all about family values. My ex husbands family was like that. His family was quite well known in the community for being that picture perfect 50's style sort of nice family. Yet in reality my ex was beaten quite often by his father.
CryMAd
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:40 AM

GOD

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:42 AM

This.  Also, when our old Bishop's daughter went to a Mormon heavy college (don't remember which, they called it "BYU of the Midwest" or something) she came home seriously depressed and had to be committed after being bullied by other Mormons that would get wasted every weekend and tearfully bear testimony on Sunday morning.  That was how everybody was back home too, but they hid it from her because she was so sensitive and the Bishop's daughter.

Quoting Devious333:

Lol this is funny to me considering most Mormons I know got married very young...it seems like they go to their BYU schools to find a spouse, too. Even the missionaries were talking about that. They still date and get serious young...

Quoting marihla:

Well they focus on careers at ages that other people focus on dating and partying.

Former Mormaniac.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I have always met people who are Mormon, and they tend to be some really kind folks outwardly. However, I have also met people who are Mormon or formerly Mormon who have their own issues. Someone mentioned that they just do a better job of hiding it, and I never noticed that attitude, it just seemed more like they made the decision to project a more positive representation of their lives, and leave out the sexual abuse within the family/church members, or struggles in the marriage, or issues with addictions to medications. Not necessarily to lie, but because it is a private matter to be dealt with at a familial level, not within the curch or the community.  I have no idea if this assessment is right, this is just how it has appeared. 

Also, there seems to be a huge emphasis on keeping things within the church. You need a job, they know of a place, or can hire you.  You need a car? They know of a great deal and can help you out.  They are seemingly close knit, and help each other, which, being well connected or an excellent networker can have the same impact in your life, it just seems to be an automatic network.  

They have always seemed like normal folks to me. Generally, people are wonderfully nice, and every group/person  has it's bad seeds or unspoken issues. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:44 AM
I think they should focus more on finding themselves and not on rushing to get married. My BIL sole purpose when he returned from his mission was to find a wife. Perhaps if he wasn't pressured to be in such a hurry he wouldn't be so miserable now. He is trapped in a loveless marriage and doesn't believe in divorce. It's really sad.

Quoting marihla:

Yes, yes. Even now, I see people that I knew as children getting married at 19. I don't understand it. You couldn't wait another year or two? I just mean that they really focus on careers and marriage and the big issues while others are partying and finding themselves.

Quoting Devious333:

Lol this is funny to me considering most Mormons I know got married very young...it seems like they go to their BYU schools to find a spouse, too. Even the missionaries were talking about that. They still date and get serious young...

Quoting marihla:

Well they focus on careers at ages that other people focus on dating and partying.

Former Mormaniac.

gizmo538
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:48 AM

You're right about that. My DH lost his faith for a long time but his family never pushed him away. Nor did I push my family away when I converted. I also know a lot of members in the church who have family members that believe differently or don't believe at all and they are still close with them. Though, they may avoid discussing religion around each other. Our family doesn't. My parents are baptist and sometimes when DH and I read scriptures they'll join in on the discussion.

Quoting justinnaimee:

Please. Ya some arent cool with it. It happens with all religious factions. Mormons are very family oriented and if one falls away from the church they are taught to hold them closer in hopes of getting them back.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then count yourselves lucky.

Quoting justinnaimee:

Not even close to true. Both mine and dhs families are mormon. We are athiest. We have great relationships with both of our families.

Quoting Anonymous:

Families are only close if they all believe. If one turns away from the church they are so as close anymore.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

I know and work with a lot if Mormons. They are almost never on public assistance. Have good looking clean cut kids. Financially stable. A few Mormon men I know are absolutely exceptionally good looking and overall nice people. I don't buy their religion but you gotta admit they have some good close families.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
caito
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Lying by omission.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:51 AM
That's how it was where i grew too. Most not all, but most of the Mormons at my school were sexually active or doing drugs or both. Its similar now. My DD is friends with my DH's cousin and her comment about him was "wow! I act more Mormon than he does and I'm not Mormon". His parents have no clue about the things he does with his friends.

Quoting Anonymous:

This.  Also, when our old Bishop's daughter went to a Mormon heavy college (don't remember which, they called it "BYU of the Midwest" or something) she came home seriously depressed and had to be committed after being bullied by other Mormons that would get wasted every weekend and tearfully bear testimony on Sunday morning.  That was how everybody was back home too, but they hid it from her because she was so sensitive and the Bishop's daughter.

Quoting Devious333:

Quoting marihla:

Former Mormaniac.

marihla
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I do think a lot of it is unfortunate. Ultimately, I couldn't agree with the religion (clearly), but some people are just happy where they are. Your BIL's story is similar to my parents'. My mom believed that God told her to marry my father and since she didn't believe in divorce, instead she let him abuse us for years. The only thing she ever did wrong as a parent was staying with my father. He held a high position in the church and was very charismatic. So we were very, very alone.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think they should focus more on finding themselves and not on rushing to get married. My BIL sole purpose when he returned from his mission was to find a wife. Perhaps if he wasn't pressured to be in such a hurry he wouldn't be so miserable now. He is trapped in a loveless marriage and doesn't believe in divorce. It's really sad.

Quoting marihla:

Yes, yes. Even now, I see people that I knew as children getting married at 19. I don't understand it. You couldn't wait another year or two? I just mean that they really focus on careers and marriage and the big issues while others are partying and finding themselves.

Quoting Devious333:

Quoting marihla:

Former Mormaniac.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)