Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Last name change for a 1 year old

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:20 AM
  • 23 Replies

Is it possible to change the babys last name if the dads not on the birth certificate?

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Yes I'm not exactly sure how to do a name change but u won't need his permission
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rliperote2
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:21 AM

He not going to be part of her life i want her to have my last name..  I was dumb to give her his. 

Quoting Fields456:

Yes I'm not exactly sure how to do a name change but u won't need his permission

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:25 AM
I don't blame you I
Would too

Quoting rliperote2:

He not going to be part of her life i want her to have my last name..  I was dumb to give her his. 

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
apollothor
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:25 AM

You want to change it but you MUST do what is legal in your state so you don't get sued or land in jail. Be smart and get a free consult with a lawyer. If you ever want child support the courts might insist on his last name. The lawyer would know.

partingwhisper
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:32 AM

in our state you have to have a paternity test done to prove who is the father. then you need permission from the father to not be on the birth certificate

partingwhisper
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:33 AM

you dont have the legal standing to make that decision and cut him out . he is her father and has rights. 

Quoting rliperote2:

Quoting Fields456:

rliperote2
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Hes abusive and has a drug problem i can keep him away .  Im raising her and the new baby alone i can do what i want..  He never added his name to her bc, Im a single parent. 

Quoting partingwhisper:

you dont have the legal standing to make that decision and cut him out . he is her father and has rights. 

Quoting rliperote2:

Quoting Fields456:

ermka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:36 AM
You'd have to go through the courts & have good reason. I have a friend who jist went through this. Her childs bio-father had to sign off his rights first. And like a pp said. Unless he allows it, you can't just make the decision to cut him out of your childs life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rliperote2
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:37 AM

He is her father but legally im her only parent hes not on her bc never was never will be.

Quoting ermka:

You'd have to go through the courts & have good reason. I have a friend who jist went through this. Her childs bio-father had to sign off his rights first. And like a pp said. Unless he allows it, you can't just make the decision to cut him out of your childs life.

ermka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:42 AM
Unless he decides he wants to. In the eyes of the law, he can request a paternity test. In which case he will be on the birth certificate & there's nothing you can do about it. My ex did it to me. He fell off the face of the earth when ds was 2. But his name is on the bc & he didn't sign it either. It's not as cut and dry as you want it to be. Sorry hun.

Quoting rliperote2:

He is her father but legally im her only parent hes not on her bc never was never will be.

Quoting ermka:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN