Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I Told My Mom Off Tonight (INFERTILITY VENT)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 231 Replies

My brother and his girlfriend of less than a year had a baby girl yesterday. My mom blurted the news out to me yesterday morning and before I had a chance to react she kept going on and on. I told my mom I was happy for them and thought that would be the end of it.

I understand her excitement, but tonight she was driving me home and brought the baby's cry up and I lost it. I told her she has two other daughters with children who I'm sure would be more than happy to gush over the baby with her and at this point I've already congratulated my brother and my mom is just being insenstive towards my infertility. I also told my mom she has no tact and that made her angry.

I ended up getting out of the car and walking the rest of the way home and burst into tears as soon as I closed my front door. My husband and I have been TTC for 3 years and I have PCOS. I just ovulated on Sunday on my 6th medicated cycle (my mom doesn't know) and the chances of me being pregnant are slim to none, but my emotions are everywhere. My mom won't even acknowledge that I'm struggling to conceive which is fine, but talking about my brother's baby right now is too much and she knows that. I feel like an asshole. Vent over. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: I don't have biological children. If I do get pregnant chances are it won't be a joyous time for me so no I won't be sharing the news on social media or trying to pry a reaction out of others and if someone were to react the way I did to the same situation I would understand.

While my brother's girlfriend was pregnant my mom went on and on about how she can't stand my brother's girlfriend and how disappointed she is that the baby is girl. My mom said she needs more grandson's and the baby being female was yet another dagger through her heart.

My mom loves getting under everyones skin and I'm done apologizing to her. It's been 3 years of her nonsense when it comes to my infertility and at this point she either accepts it fully and stops telling me my PCOS and infertility aren't real or I stop talking to her completely at this point I feel like I have nothing to lose and faking happiness for others is over.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:07 AM

bump

GwenGray
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you are going through that :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:07 AM

I should add that during my second year of TTC my brother told me to get over my PCOS and infertility which is why I'm even more upset.

partingwhisper
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:09 AM
10 moms liked this

good lord. i know you must be in a lot of emotional pain due to your fertility struggles but damn tone down raining on your families joy at new life. its ok to let people know you need them to be a bit sensative to your situation but to get angry, call your mom insensative. was wrong

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:09 AM

I don't know what to do to make my mom stop it. She just won't and then acts like I'm turning her into an enemy. I've asked her to come with me to Reproductive Endocrinologist (fertility doctor) appointments and she flat out refuses and says it's all in my head. Her ignorance is irritating.

Quoting GwenGray:

I'm sorry you are going through that :(

rebeccarae
by Bec on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:09 AM
In total honesty she could have just been happy and you took it much more personally? This happened to me except I was the one who had a baby and mother in law was over excited.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:10 AM

I called my dad afterwards and he said my mom's been acting weird towards him all day about my brother's new baby and refused to let my dad congratulate my brother during their phone call.

I already said I was happy for them; what else can I say to make my mom stop?

Quoting partingwhisper:

good lord. i know you must be in a lot of emotional pain due to your fertility struggles but damn tone down raining on your families joy at new life. its ok to let people know you need them to be a bit sensative to your situation but to get angry, call your mom insensative. was wrong

justone_jen
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:11 AM
1 mom liked this
hugs. Whether her intention was to hurt you or not, I can understand why that'd hurt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:11 AM
3 moms liked this

I have to agree here. Ive been dealing with infertility for 6 years now, it is a painful battle, and my heart goes out to you. But really, that doesnt stop me from being happy about a new baby in the family! 

Quoting partingwhisper:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I have two other sisters who are perfectly fertile why can't my mom call them and go on and on about the new baby with either one of them? Why me? I just need an answer to that. I don't have to hear about the new baby, but I was cordial when it was first brought up. My fake smile I've put on for 3 years now is starting to fade.

Quoting rebeccarae:

In total honesty she could have just been happy and you took it much more personally? This happened to me except I was the one who had a baby and mother in law was over excited.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)