Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Distorted view on black people...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
As I was sitting in my living room rocking my baby to sleep I hear yelling outside. It was a couple of young men walking down the street yelling at the police station across the street saying " why don't you come and arrest me whitey" And other jibberish I couldn't understand.
I'm thinking its so sad looking down at my baby because of where we live he is going to get a distorted view of black people. Its already happened with my other two. They are teens and have had their handful of experience. The latest is the bus. They take their school bus when they aren't supposed to just to hitch a ride to the community center....which is way to close to us.

The biggest problem...the fights. 3 Times this year my kids came home late because the bus had to get the police involved...for kids that didn't even belong on there. My kids were afraid. My DD got pushed down into.her seat with one of the fights. There are talk of gang fights across the street in the park....and these are kids my kids go to school with. Its not just the kids either.There is plenty going on all around us. I just quit watching the news and reading our town papers police report section.

We have had so many issues with them and our property. For some reason the kids thought it was OK to drink alcohol in our yard saying." We do.what we want" The disrespect and entitlement is overwhelming here.

And I know not everyone is like this! Its this area! But this is all my kids see. And its sad.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry your kids live around that, unfortunately my kids get if from the other side. We live in a predominantly white area and my kids are mixed . they are constantly getting called spic/nigger, my daughter is only in kindergarten and asked me what "nappy hair' means. Trust me my kids understand racism and distorted views come from all sides not just black and white either. You just have to tell them there is  good and bad in all people no matter what color and most importantly always love yourself no matter what.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:20 AM
That's so sad! I hate this! I want to move back to the country

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry your kids live around that, unfortunately my kids get if from the other side. We live in a predominantly white area and my kids are mixed . they are constantly getting called spic/nigger, my daughter is only in kindergarten and asked me what "nappy hair' means. Trust me my kids understand racism and distorted views come from all sides not just black and white either. You just have to tell them there is  good and bad in all people no matter what color and most importantly always love yourself no matter what.

BestestMom11
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:24 AM
I agree with the 1st post - there are good and bad people in every race. It is a sad situation.

I am fortunate to live in an area where my dd will see many different races (Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, black, white, Hispanic, Japanese, polish, Czek, Croatian, Bosnian, just to name a few).

I am also fortunate to have friends from just about everywhere. From them she'll see the good. I just have to educate her about the bad, and keep her out of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TxnMomma
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:27 AM
That's awful. We deal with that a lot. Granted since we moved out of the south it's been a bit different... But there are days when my husband comes home exhausted because he isn't the stereotypical black male, and yet everyone wants to remind him if his skin color. As if he forgot or something.

Who someone is, isn't based on skin color. It's the person within. But you are right, it is sad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM

It's a tough spot to be in for sure and I'm sorry it's weighing on you as it is. Obviously my first piece of advice would be to move but I understand that's not always a real option for a lot of people. All you can do if that's the case is try to get outside of your area at times into a nicer area where blacks and whites live and run businesses, and have more respect for each other. And teach your children that it's not about race but mostly out of where they are. 

People tend to live in a pact mentality no matter the race, you know the old addage a few rotten apples destroy the whole bunch. If you can find a way to have them interact with other races in better surroundings you may be able to change those opinions a bit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM
I see this young black teen walking down our street carrying his violin. He is nice and clean. And I think good for you! But I wonder how hard it is for him to fit in and it breaks my heart

Quoting TxnMomma:

That's awful. We deal with that a lot. Granted since we moved out of the south it's been a bit different... But there are days when my husband comes home exhausted because he isn't the stereotypical black male, and yet everyone wants to remind him if his skin color. As if he forgot or something.

Who someone is, isn't based on skin color. It's the person within. But you are right, it is sad.

TxnMomma
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:30 AM
We have that same issue. Do random ppl come up and try to touch on your children's hair? That makes me so mad. At restaurants especially. People will walk by and just grab her hair.

Quoting Anonymous:

PerfectVirgo
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:31 AM
It is very sad. :( my girls HATE our neighbors because they bully them. They're black. We're white. But they know that they bullies are bad people, not black people. My youngest told me today that some boy in her class told her BFF Ava (not sure what she is, really dark tanned, blonde curly hair) that she's not good enough because she's brown. Broke my heart. Little racist brat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Well I have family that is black.but we aren't allowed around them because I chose to leave our faith. I'm bad association. Its messed up

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a tough spot to be in for sure and I'm sorry it's weighing on you as it is. Obviously my first piece of advice would be to move but I understand that's not always a real option for a lot of people. All you can do if that's the case is try to get outside of your area at times into a nicer area where blacks and whites live and run businesses, and have more respect for each other. And teach your children that it's not about race but mostly out of where they are. 

People tend to live in a pact mentality no matter the race, you know the old addage a few rotten apples destroy the whole bunch. If you can find a way to have them interact with other races in better surroundings you may be able to change those opinions a bit.

PerfectVirgo
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Wtf?!

Quoting TxnMomma:

We have that same issue. Do random ppl come up and try to touch on your children's hair? That makes me so mad. At restaurants especially. People will walk by and just grab her hair.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)