Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

keeping your kid up until 1am?

Posted by   + Show Post
A friend of mine posted a picture saying her 2yo daughter is up at 1am. I didn't say anything but she caught hell for it. She keeps her up so she can sleep in and she said she has ample time to get her daughter on a schedule.
I'm just wondering if anyone else does this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on when she is getting up.

Is she getting 10-12 hours of sleep a night like she needs?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I work with kids, this happens all the time. Unfortunately, getting the kids on a schedule never happens because the arrangement works too well for mom.

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM

My ex sister in law would always post on facebook about how her son would wake up all the time in the middle of the night and never go to sleep etc. I felt bad for her until she told me they dont go to bed until 1am or later and sleep in until 2 in the afternoon. Kids really do need to be on set schedule. When I was working my daughter would be up close to that late when we lived on our own, but that was because I would work until 11pm or later and the baby sitter wouldn't put her to bed. It was frustrating and I got all kinds of grief about it from people who didn't know the whole story. 

rebeccasmommy09
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
As long as she's getting enough hours of sleep I don't see the problem. Dd1 used to stay up until 12-1am with dh and I up until I put her on a new schedule last year when dh was deployed. She made the switch fine (she was 3 at that point) and now goes to bed at 8-8:30 (asleep by 9).
-MidnightKarma-
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM
My sister did that. Irritated me to no end. I told her several times that she needed to switch him to a better schedule because he was going to need to be up early for school. She switched him eventually as far as I know he doesn't stay up that late anymore.
vwd_johnson
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM
My son went to bed at like 11pm when he was a baby until around 2yrs. He would sleep until 1030am usually. It was great, I loved it. Now he goes to bed anywhere from 9:30-10:30, he is 2.5. The way I see it if we're up and our kids wanna stay up, I'm fine with it. But if we have long days, forget it, he's knocked out early.

My daughter was always a sleeper so she's been going to bed from 8pm-9pm since 6wks old and sleeps until 8am. Sometimes later. She'll be 1 next month.
unspecified42
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I understand why someone would, especially with a young child who doesn't need to be on schedule for school or anything. My only concern would be that studies really do show that it isn't healthy. Our circadian rhythms really do correlate with the day/night cycle and messing with it causes physical problems. I've worked full time nights for over four years now and I wouldn't push it on my child knowing how it can make me feel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TSNDDY
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM
4 moms liked this
I think it's silly to be worried about a two year olds sleep schedule. My DD used to stay up late all the time, now she goes to bed at 8:30.

Not every families life and schedule is going to fit with the ideal time frame, its not that big of a deal.
lendales_mommi
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I had to do this for awhile also to work along with my work schedule...being a single mom isnt easy and I had to do what I had to do at that time. Whatever works for her is fine. I dont see why people freak out about bedtimes so much. She DOES have plenty of time to get her on a schedule. Mine is usually in bed by 10 pm now. I cant even imagine trying to put my son to bed at 8 pm and he is 5.

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I guess I don't think it's that big of a deal as long as mama can handle it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN