Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moving our family into an RV?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

I never thought i would consider this, but i'm kinda sort in love with the idea now. We got taxes and student loans at the same time so we were looking for RV's for camping this summer. I fell in love with one and we got approved for financing. It has bunk beds built in, and a private closed off room for our room. Two loveseats, chairs, 2 tvs, its small on storage room because its not really made to be lived in, but we can make it work. Its beautiful and brand new.

We would be saving $600 a month in rent. (We pay $750 right now. RV is financed for $145 a month)

We could travel all we want too. Especially because DH family lives 1000 miles away.

Kids will be homeschooled so school wouldn't be an issue.

We own a pasture in the country with our horses on it and could move out there and be close to the horses and goats :)

Of course it wouldn't be a perminant thing. I want to save up to be able to get my dream home but i feel like this would be fun and cheap way of living, but still a nice enjoyable way of life instead of moving back in with family.

I know its not for everybody, but do you think its a bad idea? DS is 3 years old right now and would sleep on the bottom bunk. (Its not high off the ground at all) and the top bunk would probably be used for storage lol. 

Opinions?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM
If I could I would! I love the thought of it all. (:
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I currently live in one because were broke. It isn't bad.
Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I would get a bigger one if you plan on staying in it long term.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xanayda
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

If it works for you and your family, GO FOR IT! Sounds like an adventure that i'm sure will bring awesome memories! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM

you only have 1 kid and he's not in school. If it works for you then go for it. Just remember to save for your dream house.

have fun

cindylou15
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Doesnt sound bad as long as you continue to put money away for that dreamhouse
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Good for you! 

PaperClip811
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I did it, for almost a year. It was parked though. we saved nearly 20k. It gets old (especially cooking and the shower), but yours sounds newer, bigger and nicer than the one we lived in :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
That is not what student loans are for. Don't bitch and moan about being broke when it is time to pay them off.
AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

You forget that RVS's take gas. The amount of money that gas would cost you would take away from most of your savings. You know that RVs get pretty bad gas mileage right? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)