Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

at what age does it become innapropriate to breastfeed in public - with poll.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

Poll

Question: What age is public nursing innapropriate?

Options:

at any age, I do not support breastfeeding in public.

6 months

1 year

18 months

never, I support long term breastfeeding in public.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 78

View Results

Whether you weaned at 6 months or 6 years, at what age does a mother breastfeeding her child in public start making you uncomfortable?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this
As someone who breastfeeds beyond 2 years, I know by the time they are two nursing can be delayed and I don't feel like there is a need to do so in public.
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Around two. Usually by then it's more for comfort than need and it can wait until they're home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2_2542
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Love this answer.
I want to say never...since its natural but I have to agree with this anon.

Quoting Anonymous:

As someone who breastfeeds beyond 2 years, I know by the time they are two nursing can be delayed and I don't feel like there is a need to do so in public.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LovingSAHMommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Though I support extended breast feeding and NIP, I think that at age 4 it starts to look pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't say "inappropriate", though.

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

For me I refuse to breastfeed in public at one year old.  I don't know for me it just grosses me out.  Even though I plan on breastfeeding until 2 years old due to my religion... no breastfeeding once it turns 1 year old.

butterflyk1ssez
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

ANYTIME IS OK! If baby/toddler needs comfort from a scary situation or hurt or is unsure then do it.

I rather not hear a child scream and throw a temper tantrum just because someone may feel uncomfortable with al ittle bit of areola.

15% says never - really? (when I voted). You need to get a grip, yo'.

Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

mommyofblueyes
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Anytime is fine by me, it doesn't bother me at all.  I stopped nursing my dughter in public around 15 months, but only because she had no interest in nursing while we were out, unless we were out for hours, like at a Zoo, or places like that.  

I should add that the majority of the time my DD was nursed, we lived in Europe, where it is perfectly acceptable!  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I think if your child is old enough to sit at a table and eat real food, then it can wait. Your child needs to start learning other ways to comfort them. What, are you going to go to kindergarten with them and bf them because they are scared? No.
Rhodin
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I haven't made it past 15 months, yet.  ODD quit nursing while I was pregnant with YDD.  But, when ODD was 15 months, she was only nursing once a day on average and it was overall very easy to schedule around.  I haven't nursed YDD in public since she was 5 months old.  Not that I wouldn't, it just hasn't come up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Why are you getting so upset over the never responses? It sounds like you agree with them.  It is up to 29% now

"never, I support long term breastfeeding in public."

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

ANYTIME IS OK! If baby/toddler needs comfort from a scary situation or hurt or is unsure then do it.

I rather not hear a child scream and throw a temper tantrum just because someone may feel uncomfortable with al ittle bit of areola.

15% says never - really? (when I voted). You need to get a grip, yo'.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)