Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is he being irresponsible or is it just me?

I posted this in 20 something moms as well. I'm posting here too so I can get as many opinions as possible.

My SO and I have our first on the way. She is due in May. I've been worried about him being able to handle everything involved with caring for a baby. I work at a daycare and take care of 4 infants at one time, so I know all the ins and outs. He has never been around babies and I know there is going to be a learning curve for him obviously. But I just feel like he isn't responsible enough for me to even trust her alone with the baby. Growing up, his mom babied him. She did pretty much everything for him. Well I've noticed just how much he doesn't do when we moved in together. He NEVER locks the door to the house. We even had people breaking in to near-by houses and still, he continued to forget to lock the door. He also won't lock the car doors either. I can literally say RIGHT before we get out "Lock the door", and he doesn't!! Also, sometimes when he is done cooking, he leaves the stove on!!!!! One night, he left the stove on ALL night because I didn't know I had to check it. Then, he is obsessed with this online PC game called Guild Wars. He will stay up until 5 or 6am playing this goddamn game even on nights when he has work or school the follow day. So he goes off of like 4-5 hours of sleep. And he puts his game before his studies as well. He just bombed a Math exam for college because he didn't study the night before. He gamed -.- Lastly, I have to do little things for him like remember to get his wallet and cell phone before he leaves, set the alarm clock or he won't, REMIND him he hasn't showered in two days. Ugh..I just feel like I have a child already. How am I suppose to trust him if I need to go some where? I feel like he won't remember to feed her or change her diaper or burp her. Do I have legitamite reason to be worried or do you think I'm being a bitch and over-reacting??

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't decide something like that before she's even born. I'm absentminded too (leave the stove on, forget my purse when I leave the house, etc...) It has nothing to do with my parenting skills. I've never forgotten the baby or anything. Let him help as much as possible with the baby & don't get too caught up in doiing things "your way" I think you're over thinking it. I'm sure y'all will be fine. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Quoting mommy_me:

I'm sorry I couldn't get past the I don't trust him to be responsible enough with her by himself.

please explain to me that's how you really feel then why the hell did you get pregnant in the first place

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I have no words of advice. You had a child with the man so even if you guys break up you will have to deal with his annlying behavior.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Can't you wait until the baby gets here before you pass judgement?
JC2223
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM

It would have been wise to fix all these issues BEFORE getting pregnant. If you can't trust him to care for himself, then you are going to have more serious issues with the baby. Either find a way to get him to be more responsible or accept the fact you are going to be responsible for 2 babies. You've known what he is like all along so either help him fix it or accept it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Ewww, Why would you have sex with someone like that?You were trying if you were having sex and you have a uterus.They is always a chance.Sounds like we will see you on here later as a single mom.
coffeemom37043
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM

We are fighting about it right now. He is just getting pissed at me for being worried.

Quoting sugareemommee:

I'm sorry he's a child. He needs to get his shit together, for real.

Have you say down and had an adult conversation about this with him?

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I think living in fear he could burn the house down is a little more than passing judgment, ya know?

Quoting Anonymous:

Can't you wait until the baby gets here before you pass judgement?

CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Sigh. He sounds like he is still a kid himself. I guess at this point you should just hope that he mans up when the baby is born, but from what I read on here it's not likely going to happen. Hopefully he is the exception to the usual around here. 

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I would have been giving him "baby caring lessons" the day I found out I was pregnant.  Whether it be with a doll...or whatever.  Also would have started sooner on the whole responsibility thing...doors locked, cars, stove, etc.  Then maybe by NOW he would get it.

I'd also make sure he knew his baby comes before video games all night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)