Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms who's children have seizures or have had MRIs and EEGs

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 22 Replies

My son is 8 years old, and he has been having little episodes where he, what I thought, was passing out. He had one last night and today was making absolutely no sense at all, and is dizzy and just doesnt feel good, so we went to his doctor again. She thinks he might be having seizures, little ones anyway, so she wants to send him to have a MRI and an EEG. Im scared and not sure what to make of this, Im home and calming down in my own head, I never ever show my child my fear, but still really scared.  How hard is it for a child to have these tests, did they handle it ok? If your child has seizures, everything will be ok right?  Someone tell me it will be ok. I know I am over reacting, but Im just worried, so please no rude comments, I am already at peak stress today! 

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
partingwhisper
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM

even if she has something like epilepsy there are great meds now to help control it. my son had seizures in infancy and i had to stand helplessly by while he was given a sedated MRI. it was so frightening. 

mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

MRI and EEG tests are simple. He will probably be put under for the MRI. The EEG is just little nodules stuck to his head to read his brain waves. Everything will be ok. If he is having seizures he will probably be given medication, and a lot of them stop they very well. My little guy has seizures. So I completely understand the overwhelming feeling. 

wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM
They may ask you to deprive him of sleep the night before the EEG, but they don't always.

MRI they just need him to lay still for about 90 seconds.

Hugs mama! This stuff is scary when you're first dealing with it. In time it won't be as frightening.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KaitlynEileen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Pretty much this
If anything he might get scared with the MRI. Just tell him he is going to hear loud noises, but you will be right there. If his hands are free just hold his hands.

Quoting mandee1503:

MRI and EEG tests are simple. He will probably be put under for the MRI. The EEG is just little nodules stuck to his head to read his brain waves. Everything will be ok. If he is having seizures he will probably be given medication, and a lot of them stop they very well. My little guy has seizures. So I completely understand the overwhelming feeling. 

ahappymommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Thank you ladies, Im just a little overwhelmed.

KaitlynEileen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Ps: good luck to both of you!
Nichole0403
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM
My 4 yo had to get an MRI about a year ago, we were scared he was having seizures from some meds he was on. However, they just put him under so he would lay really still and that was that. Good luck! Everything will be okay. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally off topic, but my middle name is Eileen, and I rarely see that name anywhere, except its my grandmas name. 

Quoting KaitlynEileen:

Pretty much this
If anything he might get scared with the MRI. Just tell him he is going to hear loud noises, but you will be right there. If his hands are free just hold his hands.

Quoting mandee1503:

oliver92
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM

My son started at 2 months, had myoclonic seizures, they have came and went over the years, he now 11 hit growth spurt and we just watch for them daily, any kind of spasms, etc. The scariest part was when they knocked him out, so lifeless, i hated it, and the crap they glue to their heads, we had to do that numerous times for 24 hr periods at childrens.  Its a constant battle and worry but it depends on type of seizure and the tests you have will help you, he might need meds and more dr's appt's or he may need nothing.  Wishing you the best, relax...

Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM

My daughter has had seizures since she was a toddler.

She had an MRI at 12 months, and they sedated her so she would lie still. It was a fairl simple test.

She's had many EEGs, and they're not invasive at all. The most stressful part is having your child lie still while they prep them for the test. It doesn't hurt them, but they do have a lot of wires to place correctly. They use a gel to hold them in place on your child's scalp.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN