Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm SOOOOO nervous!

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
My oldest daughter, Peyton, is in 8th grade. She will be a freshman at our local high school next year. She has never been one to be involved in sports or athletics. She played coach pitch softball one year when she was in kindergarten. It was the longest summer of our lives....she didn't even get one hit. Since then, she hasn't played a sport.

She has also always been timid and reserved. She has always had friends, but never been popular, if you know what I mean.

This year she has really come out of her shell. She is busy with friends all the time...and I love her girlfriends. Such a great group of young ladies. Peyton has really blossomed this year and become such a joy to be around (a beautiful, IMO).

Anyway, she has decided that she wants to try out for cheerleading for next year. Remember, she has never really been involved in anything like this before. She has spent the last 3 weeks looking up videos on youtube about cheerleading and tryout tips and advice. She asked if she could take some tumbling classes to help prepare her. The local gymnastics place has a cheer prep class, so she has been attending that for the last 3 weeks. We attended the pre tryout meeting earlier this week and learned of the time/financial commitment. I thought that she would be discouraged by the 6AM practices 2 days a week throughout the school year, but she wasn't. There are about 70 girls trying out for 29 spots.

She even called her dad (we are divorced, but are both remarried) and told him he would have to rearrange their summer vacation to accommodate the summer cheer practices.

I'm so beside myself with nerves over tryouts. They are next Friday, April 5. I know how bad she wants this, and it's out of my hands, but I can't help it. I'm losing sleep at night, I think about it all the time, I have lost my appetite, I even broke down in the shower crying this morning (I think just because my emotions don't know what else to do). I have a recurring dream that we are checking the high school website the night of cheer tryouts, and the results have been posted, and there is her name....oh, how I hope that is what really happens.

Ok, now that I've rambled on and on, do you have any advice for me on how to manage the next week while I wait for the tryouts to be over?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xanayda
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

take a few deep breaths and stop stressing! :) She will do fine! And if she doesn't encourage her to try again. Our kids need to learn how to deal with rejection properly. Good luck to her!!! :)

mommybecky
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Thank you!

Quoting xanayda:

take a few deep breaths and stop stressing! :) She will do fine! And if she doesn't encourage her to try again. Our kids need to learn how to deal with rejection properly. Good luck to her!!! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zetajen
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I would see if one of the graduating seniors would work with her as a paid gig. A senior, because then the girl won't see your daughter as competition for a spot. I did this in hs and it was invaluable. I would not have made it if I had not had her individual advice and coaching.

Also, video tape her doing her tryout routine. when you watch from the spectator's viewpoint, you see the things you are doing wrong.

Then just talk to her about how a lot of girls are going to be disappointed. she should try her best. and if she really wants to do it, it may mean working hard for a year on her own and trying again next year.

mommybecky
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Thank you! I honestly think I am more nervous than she is. She seems pretty confident and at ease.

Quoting zetajen:

I would see if one of the graduating seniors would work with her as a paid gig. A senior, because then the girl won't see your daughter as competition for a spot. I did this in hs and it was invaluable. I would not have made it if I had not had her individual advice and coaching.

Also, video tape her doing her tryout routine. when you watch from the spectator's viewpoint, you see the things you are doing wrong.

Then just talk to her about how a lot of girls are going to be disappointed. she should try her best. and if she really wants to do it, it may mean working hard for a year on her own and trying again next year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjsaes
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM
I did cheerleading for six years. Its a lot to handle with practices games tumbling classes competitons we even took aerobic classes. Its a lot of work. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommybecky
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM
They don't/won't do tumbling classes. They do compete twice per year.

I cheered in high school, but we weren't competitive.

Quoting kjsaes:

I did cheerleading for six years. Its a lot to handle with practices games tumbling classes competitons we even took aerobic classes. Its a lot of work. Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnonyMOUSE715
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Well as long as she isn't too nervous just remember that and there shouldn't be too much of a reason for you to be so nervous. I know it is soo hard to stop being anxious. Just talk to her and make sure she realizes how many people will be trying out and as sad as it sounds maybe expect the worst hope for the best but NOT in those exact words. Like, "I think you should be really confident and feel GREAT about what you do during the audition, but if you don't expect anything you will be 10x happier when/if you do get in" every time you get nervous/feel like crying just realize how happy and confident your daughter is and know you raised a confident young lady.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WheelerWife
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Sounds like you're supporting her in every way that you can. Breathe mama BREATHE!!! :)

mommybecky
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Thank you!

Quoting WheelerWife:

Sounds like you're supporting her in every way that you can. Breathe mama BREATHE!!! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybecky
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!

Quoting AnonyMOUSE715:

Well as long as she isn't too nervous just remember that and there shouldn't be too much of a reason for you to be so nervous. I know it is soo hard to stop being anxious. Just talk to her and make sure she realizes how many people will be trying out and as sad as it sounds maybe expect the worst hope for the best but NOT in those exact words. Like, "I think you should be really confident and feel GREAT about what you do during the audition, but if you don't expect anything you will be 10x happier when/if you do get in" every time you get nervous/feel like crying just realize how happy and confident your daughter is and know you raised a confident young lady.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN