Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Homeschooling Family is a Rapidly Changing Demographic ***EDIT***

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The demographics of homeschooling parents are changing, writes Kathleen Berchelmann for ChildrensMD. No more is teaching children at home something only done by the religious or those whose homes are too rural to make going to a high-quality school practical. Professionals like lawyers, doctors, and even public school teachers are increasingly turning their back on the traditional in favor of teaching their children themselves.

More than 2 million children around the U.S. are homeschooled, a number that is 75% higher than it was in 1999. And the number is expected not just to grow, but to grow exponentially over the next decade — especially since the advent of free virtual public schools and quality curriculum all around the country.

Even so, the stereotypes surrounding families who choose to homeschool are so persistent that Berchelmann herself hid her own homeschooling efforts from her colleagues for over a year, afraid that she might get tarred with the same brush.

The difficulty was compounded by self-doubt. As a full-time professional, Berchelmann wasn’t at all certain that the experiment would pay off.

More in the following link.......... http://www.educationnews.org/parenting/the-homeschooling-family-is-a-rapidly-changing-demographic/

Do you home school?

EDIT:

How many of you actually read more in the link I provided?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
Val99
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:41 AM

There is no way I could have given my children the education they received at home.  Both started kindergarten early (4) because they were gifted (they could read books at 3), and attended a private school for the gifted.  There were only 20 children per grade, and a 6:1 ratio of students to teachers.  They began HS advanced placement classes in 6th grade.  They both graduated and began college at 16 in pre-med.

If you have an average child, homeschooling can be an option, but with the very gifted it would hinder their education.  My children's teachers had PHDs in the subjects they taught so they could go in-depth - similar to college courses - rather than touching on the surface of the subject matter.  I have a PHD myself in Software engineering  and other degrees in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, and engineering, but I know i could not effectively teach all subjects at the level my children needed. 

True knowledge is knowing what you don't know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I was with you till the second paragraph. Gifted children CAN be home schooled, and very successfully. I'm glad you do what works for your family, though.

Quoting Val99:

There is no way I could have given my children the education they received at home.  Both started kindergarten early (4) because they were gifted (they could read books at 3), and attended a private school for the gifted.  There were only 20 children per grade, and a 6:1 ratio of students to teachers.  They began HS advanced placement classes in 6th grade.  They both graduated and began college at 16 in pre-med.

If you have an average child, homeschooling can be an option, but with the very gifted it would hinder their education.  My children's teachers had PHDs in the subjects they taught so they could go in-depth - similar to college courses - rather than touching on the surface of the subject matter.

catchup29
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:45 AM
The world is too uncertain and we want more control over their exposure to it. My children and us have discussed, of course the kids will need socialization. And they will get that with play groups and sports. Also, homeschooling gives children a clear advantage. Our children are close in age the oldest married, middle one engaged. They should be having children around the same time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Very interesting. Would you mind sharing why?

Quoting catchup29:

My children are adults. But mine and DH's main goal in life is to be able to retire in 5 years, at 45 before grandkids come so we can home school them.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM

:)

Quoting catchup29:

The world is too uncertain and we want more control over their exposure to it. My children and us have discussed, of course the kids will need socialization. And they will get that with play groups and sports. Also, homeschooling gives children a clear advantage. Our children are close in age the oldest married, middle one engaged. They should be having children around the same time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Very interesting. Would you mind sharing why?

Quoting catchup29:

My children are adults. But mine and DH's main goal in life is to be able to retire in 5 years, at 45 before grandkids come so we can home school them.

kngarber
by Katie on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this
This exactly

Quoting Kris_PBG:

No - it is not something I have any interest in. It would be a very poor fit for for my children and my family.

They are very happy and thriving at a wonderful public school.
Val99
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I don't think they can be home-schooled at the level they had reached.  Their HS education taught concepts I learned well into my first masters program.  Picture teaching a 14 year old Sheldon Cooper and having him run rings around you.  I have 3 BS, 2 MS, and a PHD and I could not have taught them at the level they needed in subjects that are not my area of expertise.

Plus they each ended up with 19 "siblings" that have flown in to attend their weddings and the birth of their children.  Their classmates went to school with them from kindergarten to graduation, so they are like family.  They would have missed out on so much if they hadn't attended.

--  The key to knowledge is knowing what you don't know.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was with you till the second paragraph. Gifted children CAN be home schooled, and very successfully. I'm glad you do what works for your family, though.

Quoting Val99:

If you have an average child, homeschooling can be an option, but with the very gifted it would hinder their education.  My children's teachers had PHDs in the subjects they taught so they could go in-depth - similar to college courses - rather than touching on the surface of the subject matter.

QueenAtargatis
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:59 AM

This is interesting. It's very uncommon to see grandparents homeschooling their grandchildren.

What are your children's views on it? How much control, if any, will they have on what's being taught?

Quoting catchup29:

fraujones
by Mommytron on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:59 AM
No. I was homeschooled and hated it. The stereotype was true for me. My parents were religious and sheltered me.
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM

We do K12.

URHonor
by Rotten.Girl on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM
We are starting in Sept!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured