Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Homeschooling Family is a Rapidly Changing Demographic ***EDIT***

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The demographics of homeschooling parents are changing, writes Kathleen Berchelmann for ChildrensMD. No more is teaching children at home something only done by the religious or those whose homes are too rural to make going to a high-quality school practical. Professionals like lawyers, doctors, and even public school teachers are increasingly turning their back on the traditional in favor of teaching their children themselves.

More than 2 million children around the U.S. are homeschooled, a number that is 75% higher than it was in 1999. And the number is expected not just to grow, but to grow exponentially over the next decade — especially since the advent of free virtual public schools and quality curriculum all around the country.

Even so, the stereotypes surrounding families who choose to homeschool are so persistent that Berchelmann herself hid her own homeschooling efforts from her colleagues for over a year, afraid that she might get tarred with the same brush.

The difficulty was compounded by self-doubt. As a full-time professional, Berchelmann wasn’t at all certain that the experiment would pay off.

More in the following link.......... http://www.educationnews.org/parenting/the-homeschooling-family-is-a-rapidly-changing-demographic/

Do you home school?

EDIT:

How many of you actually read more in the link I provided?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

My oldest is 6.  We have been informally homeschooling him since he was 3.  My older daughter just turned 3 in January and we have started homeschooling with her as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

How long have you been home schooling?

Quoting NiamhWitch:

We homeschool. :-)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Facebook.  Faery Moon Children's Coven.  FMCC Facebook.

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Our children attend one of the best public elementary schools in NYS. However, if they didn't, I would homeschool and we don't fit the stereotype either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Quoting Josie_P:

Is it considered homeschooling if you have a tutor come to your house? Or does the parent have to be the actual one teaching?

Depends on the laws where you live. In some states parents can hire tutors full time while in others that is considered establishing a private school and that the tutors be licensed teachers. A couple of states set the number of hours or the percentage of hours that a tutor can teach

Josie_P
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Ohhh. I don't live in the States so I'd have to find out what the laws are for my country haha :)

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Josie_P:

Is it considered homeschooling if you have a tutor come to your house? Or does the parent have to be the actual one teaching?

Depends on the laws where you live. In some states parents can hire tutors full time while in others that is considered establishing a private school and that the tutors be licensed teachers. A couple of states set the number of hours or the percentage of hours that a tutor can teach

mommaTLC186
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM
My oldest and youngest go to public school. I just pulled out my middle son (autistic) two weeks ago and I'm homeschooling him. The public schools have failed my 13yr old.
amanda357
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Nope I don't and never will. It's not for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM
No and it's never going to happen, unless we have ww3 and my kids cant go to school.
Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM
No - it is not something I have any interest in. It would be a very poor fit for for my children and my family.

They are very happy and thriving at a wonderful public school.
Leissaintexas
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM
We've homeschooled for 6 yrs now. We are Christian, but that's not the only reason. Common Core Standards is just going to put US schools at the very bottom of the list, if you ask me, and I would prefer my kids be better educated than that. Look into some of the teaching methods involved in CCS, you'll quickly see how our kids' education will suffer.
jen2150
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Hiring a tutor doesn't mean you are not teaching your child.  If a child has a tutor are they still considered a public schooler?   

Quoting Josie_P:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN