Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Homeschooling Family is a Rapidly Changing Demographic ***EDIT***

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The demographics of homeschooling parents are changing, writes Kathleen Berchelmann for ChildrensMD. No more is teaching children at home something only done by the religious or those whose homes are too rural to make going to a high-quality school practical. Professionals like lawyers, doctors, and even public school teachers are increasingly turning their back on the traditional in favor of teaching their children themselves.

More than 2 million children around the U.S. are homeschooled, a number that is 75% higher than it was in 1999. And the number is expected not just to grow, but to grow exponentially over the next decade — especially since the advent of free virtual public schools and quality curriculum all around the country.

Even so, the stereotypes surrounding families who choose to homeschool are so persistent that Berchelmann herself hid her own homeschooling efforts from her colleagues for over a year, afraid that she might get tarred with the same brush.

The difficulty was compounded by self-doubt. As a full-time professional, Berchelmann wasn’t at all certain that the experiment would pay off.

More in the following link.......... http://www.educationnews.org/parenting/the-homeschooling-family-is-a-rapidly-changing-demographic/

Do you home school?

EDIT:

How many of you actually read more in the link I provided?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Replies (111-117):
TSNDDY
by Emerald Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM
We will be homeschooling, our oldest is only 4 though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CrunchyBran
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM

We homeschool.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I do not home school because we live in an area with exceptional schools, however, if that were not the case my children would absolutely be home schooled no questions asked.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I was a public school teacher. (I'm now a SAHM.) We live in one of the best and wealthiest school districts in the country.
I have secret fantasies of homeschooling my boys. I wouldn't do it for many reasons, but sometimes I wish I could.
I do have a prejudice though, and think most homeschoolers are crazy fanatics.
shadowsgrl09
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Im going to homeschool bc our schools suck and they let kids fall through the cracks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RockEducation
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Secular homeschoolers here. 

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM

We pulled my eldest out of third grade, however, they had skipped her a grade ahead previously, so I put her back where she belongs (fifth now) and just consider her advanced work to be like advanced placement.   This way she can still compete on teams and such with kids her own age.

So because of putting her back a "grade" kinda, we have been homeschooling for 3 years since then.   My son was in KG at the time when we pulled her, and so he got pulled at the end of the year because it ended up being best for him too.

We have been enjoying it.  There are challenges at home, too, and you aren't always "better" in every subject matter than the public school.    However, you are better in regards to attitude over learning, their own self worth, etc...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN