Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Homeschooling Family is a Rapidly Changing Demographic ***EDIT***

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The demographics of homeschooling parents are changing, writes Kathleen Berchelmann for ChildrensMD. No more is teaching children at home something only done by the religious or those whose homes are too rural to make going to a high-quality school practical. Professionals like lawyers, doctors, and even public school teachers are increasingly turning their back on the traditional in favor of teaching their children themselves.

More than 2 million children around the U.S. are homeschooled, a number that is 75% higher than it was in 1999. And the number is expected not just to grow, but to grow exponentially over the next decade — especially since the advent of free virtual public schools and quality curriculum all around the country.

Even so, the stereotypes surrounding families who choose to homeschool are so persistent that Berchelmann herself hid her own homeschooling efforts from her colleagues for over a year, afraid that she might get tarred with the same brush.

The difficulty was compounded by self-doubt. As a full-time professional, Berchelmann wasn’t at all certain that the experiment would pay off.

More in the following link.......... http://www.educationnews.org/parenting/the-homeschooling-family-is-a-rapidly-changing-demographic/

Do you home school?

EDIT:

How many of you actually read more in the link I provided?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I'm sorry they have failed one of your children. :(

Quoting mommaTLC186:

My oldest and youngest go to public school. I just pulled out my middle son (autistic) two weeks ago and I'm homeschooling him. The public schools have failed my 13yr old.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM

:)

Quoting NiamhWitch:

My oldest is 6.  We have been informally homeschooling him since he was 3.  My older daughter just turned 3 in January and we have started homeschooling with her as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

How long have you been home schooling?

Quoting NiamhWitch:

We homeschool. :-)

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM

No I don't homeschool and I won't.

jen2150
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM

We have been homeschooling for six years now.  I have friends from many different fields of expertise.  I love the variety I have found while homeschooling.  I have so many great homeschooling friends I can lean on for support.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM

That is great. :)

Quoting jen2150:

We have been homeschooling for six years now.  I have friends from many different fields of expertise.  I love the variety I have found while homeschooling.  I have so many great homeschooling friends I can lean on for support.

catchup29
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM
My children are adults. But mine and DH's main goal in life is to be able to retire in 5 years, at 45 before grandkids come so we can home school them.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheDoctorsWife
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM
I'm not surprised. Homeschooling wouldn't be for my family though
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Very interesting. Would you mind sharing why?

Quoting catchup29:

My children are adults. But mine and DH's main goal in life is to be able to retire in 5 years, at 45 before grandkids come so we can home school them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM

:)

Quoting TheDoctorsWife:

I'm not surprised. Homeschooling wouldn't be for my family though

mimi0815
by Mimmie on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:34 AM
We are seriously thinking about it my son doesn't want to he will be going to highschool next year so he wants to see what that's like. My daughter is in kindergarten so she could care less either way. With the school system the way that it is right now my husband and I had a serious conversation about it and he wants them to be at home . I'm still on the fence mainly because my son is completely against it and I want him to experience highschool the way hubby and I did . It'll be a tough decision that we are all going to have to make soon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN