Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Homeschooling Family is a Rapidly Changing Demographic ***EDIT***

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The demographics of homeschooling parents are changing, writes Kathleen Berchelmann for ChildrensMD. No more is teaching children at home something only done by the religious or those whose homes are too rural to make going to a high-quality school practical. Professionals like lawyers, doctors, and even public school teachers are increasingly turning their back on the traditional in favor of teaching their children themselves.

More than 2 million children around the U.S. are homeschooled, a number that is 75% higher than it was in 1999. And the number is expected not just to grow, but to grow exponentially over the next decade — especially since the advent of free virtual public schools and quality curriculum all around the country.

Even so, the stereotypes surrounding families who choose to homeschool are so persistent that Berchelmann herself hid her own homeschooling efforts from her colleagues for over a year, afraid that she might get tarred with the same brush.

The difficulty was compounded by self-doubt. As a full-time professional, Berchelmann wasn’t at all certain that the experiment would pay off.

More in the following link.......... http://www.educationnews.org/parenting/the-homeschooling-family-is-a-rapidly-changing-demographic/

Do you home school?

EDIT:

How many of you actually read more in the link I provided?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I'm sorry.

Quoting fraujones:

No. I was homeschooled and hated it. The stereotype was true for me. My parents were religious and sheltered me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:04 AM

:)

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

We do K12.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM

:)

Quoting URHonor:

We are starting in Sept!

QueenAtargatis
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM

We're starting this September, too. My oldest is in public school now (first grade), and these past two year have been awful. =/

Josie_P
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Idk. I was just asking. People don't homeschool in my country. It's a foreign concept to me.

Quoting jen2150:

Hiring a tutor doesn't mean you are not teaching your child.  If a child has a tutor are they still considered a public schooler?   

Quoting Josie_P:

Is it considered homeschooling if you have a tutor come to your house? Or does the parent have to be the actual one teaching?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catchup29
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM
They love the idea. Yes, they will have complete control. Their children. Their control. We will just be the teachers and protectors.

Quoting QueenAtargatis:

This is interesting. It's very uncommon to see grandparents homeschooling their grandchildren.

What are your children's views on it? How much control, if any, will they have on what's being taught?

Quoting catchup29:

My children are adults. But mine and DH's main goal in life is to be able to retire in 5 years, at 45 before grandkids come so we can home school them.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Nope. My kids go to a school increasing in enrollment every year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids are homeschooled. We are not religious. I just wanted my children to have a great education and felt for various reason public school wouldn't be the best option for my kids.
sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM

What country are you in/from?

Quoting Josie_P:

Idk. I was just asking. People don't homeschool in my country. It's a foreign concept to me.

Quoting jen2150:

Hiring a tutor doesn't mean you are not teaching your child.  If a child has a tutor are they still considered a public schooler?   

Quoting Josie_P:

Is it considered homeschooling if you have a tutor come to your house? Or does the parent have to be the actual one teaching?

Josie_P
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Russia

Quoting sha_lyn68:

What country are you in/from?

Quoting Josie_P:

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting Josie_P:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)