Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Update Faking Being a Christian for Inheritance

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies

Operation Fake It is a go. Some of you wanted an update. I am not exactly sure how long it has been since we've started acting like I, my husband, and child believe. We now go to church once a year for Christmas service. I would actually go for Easter, but for some reason that is not expected.

It is working as expected. We have been doing this at least a year, maybe two. For a while now we have been getting weekly money from my parents. We have enough money to live on, but they want us eating well and having more money for clothes. They turned some of their land into investment property for me. We will now be getting at least one if not two of their houses plus a few hundred thousand in the will.

On the flip side, my child thinks that when people die they go up in the sky to God. My kid is young though, and in some ways I think believing something comforting like this when people die may be nice to have in childhood. It bothers me a little, but not that much really. I have said, "Yes, that is what some people believe."

This is the update for the people that wanted it.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:00 AM

Well aren't you just a fucking awesome person

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:07 AM
Wow! You sure are special. Smh
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Wait,what? Link to previous post please

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:08 AM
2 moms liked this

You aren't doing a very good job of "faking it" if you are only going 1 time a year...

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:10 AM
Does it at all bother you to have to do that?

and how much was the inheritance for?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:13 AM

I am not certain about being awesome, but I am a kind person. I would rather have parents I could be honest with, who actually love me for me but that is not possible. They are the ones who instigated the religious blackmail. I considered the options, discussed it at length with my husband and the payoff is worth it. I do not know if you saw the original post, but my parents are not nice people. They are mostly concerned with appearances and lip service. It is why it is so important to them that we all be seen as a family during Christmas service.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Religion was heavily forced on me as a child so I can have in depth talks about the Bible and can steer the conversation toward verses and parts of the Bible I think demonstrate goodness and good advice.

When a family member dies, I now say I'll be praying for them. When news events happen I will reference bible verses providing my opinion on the circumstances. It is more important that they believe I had a change of heart, rather than anything has actually changed. They just want to be able to say that we are a god-fearing family and not non-believers or people that walked away from the church.

Quoting Anonymous:

You aren't doing a very good job of "faking it" if you are only going 1 time a year...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:20 AM

So you do the exact same thing back to them and it is ok for you to do because you know there is money involved? I'm sorry, there is no amount of money that could make me "act" like I believed something I didn't.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not certain about being awesome, but I am a kind person. I would rather have parents I could be honest with, who actually love me for me but that is not possible. They are the ones who instigated the religious blackmail. I considered the options, discussed it at length with my husband and the payoff is worth it. I do not know if you saw the original post, but my parents are not nice people. They are mostly concerned with appearances and lip service. It is why it is so important to them that we all be seen as a family during Christmas service.

Quoting Anonymous:

rliperote2
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:21 AM

i actually understand im in a similar situation my parents have money and i beat to my own drum so they dont help me.  My siblings live fake lives and have everything.  It hurts but part of me thinks in the end im the better person for being true to myself

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd say you are the better person too, if you siblings are truly just "keeping up appearances" to get money from your parents.

Quoting rliperote2:

i actually understand im in a similar situation my parents have money and i beat to my own drum so they dont help me.  My siblings live fake lives and have everything.  It hurts but part of me thinks in the end im the better person for being true to myself

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)