Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Free after school sports

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

Settle a question for me. I   live in an upscale community with award winning schools. We pay taxes up the wazoo (but not as bad as Long Island or New Jersey or Mass would)  My kids do after school sports and they are NEVER free.  There is a charge for all of them (waived if you can show need).

How many of you live in an area (wealthy or poor) where after school sports are offered for FREE to everyone?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I live in a very upscale area (LI, NY) and all school activities have to be paid for..during or after school. IF  you find any...let me know, lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Everythings free here, .you are responsible for the shoes/cleets/etc.
But otherwise free.
Football, basketball, cheer, soccer, baseball, you name it.
Same with afterschool & rec department here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Quoting Sassy762:

I live in a very upscale area (LI, NY) and all school activities have to be paid for..during or after school. IF  you find any...let me know, lol

Some poster on here was saying they are free in her area. She lives In NY somewhere. It struck me as odd, because I dont' know ANY school districts that offer that.  Even in my area where some of the coaches are parent volunteers, there are still costs. Lacrosse was only $127 INCLUDIMG the helmet..but how the hell can the school justify offering free sports to everyone. How is that fair to the kids who can't (or don't want to play sports?)

And how can they afford it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

But otherwise free.

How is it funded? And are you in an affluent or poorer area? Who pays the coaches and for the fields and the lights and such?

lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Most school sports where I live (Mass) are free but there are still costs associated with them. I live in a town where most people are middle income and some are low income.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM

She doesn't live on Long Island,lol

BUT there are some areas in queens that do have free after school activities that are funded through the Youth and Community Developement Agency. I'm not sure what schools they are connected with .

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sassy762:

Some poster on here was saying they are free in her area. She lives In NY somewhere. It struck me as odd, because I dont' know ANY school districts that offer that.  Even in my area where some of the coaches are parent volunteers, there are still costs. Lacrosse was only $127 INCLUDIMG the helmet..but how the hell can the school justify offering free sports to everyone. How is that fair to the kids who can't (or don't want to play sports?)

And how can they afford it?

MammaPaparazza
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM
When I was a kid you tried out, and it was free. You had to pay for uniform. We also live in more upscale community, or should I say the more upscale part because every community has there "trouble area" anyway- we have to pay for after school activities as well. And it's pretty limited in the sports department. We are in charter and they have running club, intermural basketball and soccer. Everything else is like cupcake club, reading club, computer club etc... Nothing is under 30 bucks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Booster club, ticket sales, refreshment stands pay for the equipment & such.
The coaches are volunteers. (except for high school sports, that's just conditions of their job.)
It's 50/50.
Even The three private schools offer free sports.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

But otherwise free.

How is it funded? And are you in an affluent or poorer area? Who pays the coaches and for the fields and the lights and such?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Not here, not any place I've lived as an adult (5 different states). Where I grew up in CT there was a place I think like $25 all season for the uniform, my parents weren't needy that is what it cost for everyone. Of course that was 20 years ago.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:24 AM

My kids have never done anything for free. We even pay for during school activities like band. 

In fact I pay a small fortune just to have my kids play baseball. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)