Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Free after school sports

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Settle a question for me. I   live in an upscale community with award winning schools. We pay taxes up the wazoo (but not as bad as Long Island or New Jersey or Mass would)  My kids do after school sports and they are NEVER free.  There is a charge for all of them (waived if you can show need).

How many of you live in an area (wealthy or poor) where after school sports are offered for FREE to everyone?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Replies (21-28):
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I'm in MA;  the school sports in my town are not free.  We've got a few high income, lots of middle income, and some low income.

Quoting lovemysnugbugs:

Most school sports where I live (Mass) are free but there are still costs associated with them. I live in a town where most people are middle income and some are low income.

Jennyanne322
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:13 AM
I live in NYC. If you play for the public high schools its free. You do have to pay for uniforms, shoes, helmet, gloves and stuff that the sport needs, but not for the sport itself. I went to a catholic high school and my parents had to pay a $250 fee for activities a year and then we had to pay for the uniform, knee pads, socks, shoes, and what ever that sport entailed. Club teams you always have to pay for, private teams you always pay for also. DS is on soccer, t-ball, and swimming. I pay for all those out of pocket for everything. He is only 5 though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in an upperclass area on LI. None of our after school activities are free
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cryssi_renee
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:16 AM

School sports are free aside from the uniforms.

City league sports require a registration fee which is usually anywhere from $20 to $100. 

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Very Upscale area of NJ nothing's free. Lacrosse was $30 for a helmet thing if u made varsity, 3 fundraisrs( spent over $175 at the 1st one), $75 to join boosters. Rec was never free either.And $100 for sweats the whole team had to get
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by Kimmie on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM

We live in apoor area and sports cost too much here.

mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I have no clue... mine don't participate in any school sports.. I do pay out the wazoo for karate for 2 kids though! LOL 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

christina0607
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I'm in Ma too and they aren't fre here either. 

Quoting disneymom2two:

I'm in MA;  the school sports in my town are not free.  We've got a few high income, lots of middle income, and some low income.

Quoting lovemysnugbugs:

Most school sports where I live (Mass) are free but there are still costs associated with them. I live in a town where most people are middle income and some are low income.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)