Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Couple Seeking New Law After A Horrible Homebirth

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When Tina and Frank Comstive had their twin daughters, they thought that would be it when it came to having children.

"We found out we were pregnant just a month after I had lost my mother to cancer, and she was only 58 so that was quite a tragedy for our family," Tina said.

Like a lot of women these days, Tina decided to hire a midwife and have the baby at home which would save thousands of dollars.

"My husband is self employed," Tina said. "So we have insurance, but no maternity coverage."

Around midnight May 18, 2011, Tina woke up to go to the bathroom.

"Which most pregnant women do lots of times and at the time I discovered there was blood in the toilet so I called my midwife, she was here in 30 minutes," Tina said.

The midwife decided Tina would be fine having the baby at home. But three hours later Frank was rushing his wife to the hospital where doctors told him to prepare for the worst.

"The hardest part was trying to figure out how to tell my twins there mother wasn't coming home. Put that on for size," Frank said.

It took 51 units of blood to save Tina's life, but the placenta abruption left Sam with a brain injury.

"Right now he's using his hands and arms," Tina said. "He's got movement of them but there's no purposeful movement. He doesn't reach for things. He doesn't hold things that a normal eight-month-old should."

While Texas does require midwives to be licensed, there's no state law requiring midwives to carry liability insurance.

"I'm a pest control guy. I kill bugs," Frank said. “I'm required by Texas law to carry $300,000 worth of insurance."

Florida is the only state that requires midwives to carry liability insurance, according to Midwives Alliance of North America.

"Midwives operate under a state of the art gold standard, there is full disclosure with the mother at orientation regarding many issues including no insurance coverage....The mother assumes full responsibility for her decisions in the home birth setting," the organization said in a prepared statement to FOX 26 Investigates.

While Frank and Tina still support the use of midwives and home births, they want to see a change in state law that would require midwives to have liability insurance.

"When the wrong decision is made then there should be a financial obligation to the injured," Tina said.

"It's not about me, or Tina or Sam," Frank said, "It's about the next Sam or the next Samantha."

As for Sam's brain injury, his parents can only wait and see what the future holds. That ‘not knowing’ includes how much it's going to cost to care for him in the future.

SOURCE:
 http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/18182955/home-birth-horror-has-couple-seeking-new-law#ixzz2P2TRowxL

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Replies (51-60):
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Unnecessary medical intervention. There is a wealth of information about it out there. part of it is that you can't deliver at home if you are high risk, and there are more high risk women now than in the past. But part of it is medical training and liability. This is all widely known.

Quoting Anonymous:

how is there more risk in having a baby in a hospital?  Really?

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Its riskier to have a baby in a hospital than at home or a birthing center. Midwives don't take high risk patients and complications at home are rare.

Quoting SincerelyMine:

I don't believe in home births. the midwife doesn't have the materials a doctor and hospital had in case of an emergency. This should be a lesson for everyone.

ETA:

Can't blame the midwife for doing her job. When she saw blood, she should've went to the hospital! Who cares about the price when it comes to the safe delivery of your babies?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jojo_382
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM
these are my exact words I was thinking u should know you're taking a rest but doing this

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry, but it's not the midwife's fault.  Very sad what happened to their child, but they took their chances.  A bunch of idiots....

Oostera
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM

True. You should always go in informed:)

Quoting SincerelyMine:

I know what you mean but this story should be taken into consideration (as should others) when deciding where you should give birth and how.

Quoting Oostera:

That's okay, that's your choice, but to say this "should be a lesson for everyone" is suggesting that this is a bad path to take at all. It isn't and is, often times, safer. Your comfort level is your own, obviously, and I would never suggest it should be a lesson to you when a story comes out about a birthing mother dieing in the hospital surrounded by doctors and high tech equipment, kwIm?

Quoting SincerelyMine:

Trained or not, i would feel safer with doctors everywhere and being near an emergency room.

That's just my preference

Quoting Oostera:Midwives are supposed to be trained for emergency situations. They are supposed to be trained to know when to go to the hospital. This midwife failed her clients but that is not a case against home birth or using midwives.Quoting SincerelyMine:I don't believe in home births. the midwife doesn't have the materials a doctor and hospital had in case of an emergency. This should be a lesson for everyone.

ETA:

Can't blame the midwife for doing her job. When she saw blood, she should've went to the hospital! Who cares about the price when it comes to the safe delivery of your babies?

mylovey
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM

This sounds like a terrible situation, but unless there was a lot of bleeding, I don't see how the midwife is at fault. I had light spotting throughout my labor, and nothing was wrong. I had a healthy 10lb, 5oz baby at home. If my midwife would have pushed for a transfer, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to surgically remove my baby. A little bleeding does not necessarily mean there is a medical emergency. Also, placental abruption can be serious and fatal, even in a hospital.  

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

That mistake can happen with a midwife or with a doctor. 

frzmamaof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want to have your baby in your home without a medical doctor there and access to all the equipment asnd monitoring a hospital has, you CHOSE this risk. 

Don't blame the midwife.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

There are also a lot less infant mortalities and mothers who die in childbirth because of modern medicine.  There are many things that could contribute to increase in high risk pregnancies, obesity rates being a big one.  Knowledge and knowing risks another.

I highly doubt your assertation that a medical hospital poses more risk than a homebirth.  

It doesn't take research to use common sense.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Unnecessary medical intervention. There is a wealth of information about it out there. part of it is that you can't deliver at home if you are high risk, and there are more high risk women now than in the past. But part of it is medical training and liability. This is all widely known.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Its riskier to have a baby in a hospital than at home or a birthing center. Midwives don't take high risk patients and complications at home are rare.

Quoting SincerelyMine:

I don't believe in home births. the midwife doesn't have the materials a doctor and hospital had in case of an emergency. This should be a lesson for everyone.

ETA:

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM
I have a friend who is a nurse midwife and has more deliveries under her belt than most OBs, and she's only 38. Doctors are trained to use the highest medical intervention at their disposal rather than other methods. We have a crazy high c-section rate in this country.

You can deliver in a hospital with doctors and an ER close by with a midwife. They have hospital rights too. If I ever have another baby, that would be my choice.

Quoting SincerelyMine:

O.o i delivered my daughter at the hospital which is where my comfort comes from. Considering the situation I was in, everyone was patient, the doctor was there and it actually went great besides the hours of labor. I'm pregnant now and plan to five birth in the hospital. But i will be researching hospitals and options before I choose a place

Quoting quickbooksworm:

It doesn't work like that. I was in the hospital trying to deliver my son and they couldn't find a doctor. The nurses didn't want me to push because by law they can't deliver a baby. My sons heart rate was dropping and they were talking c-section and all I needed was to push. Once a doctor finally came, he was out in 3 pushes. It was ridiculous.

Quoting SincerelyMine:

I would feel safe with an emergency room down the hall and like five other doctors walking pay the door every few minutes

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting SincerelyMine:

ETA:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I'm sorry but you take a risk when you get pregnant. Anything can happen. It's not always the doctors or midwives faults either. Sometimes things just happen.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Honey, look it up before you start talking common sense. The US has the highest c-section rate, the highest hospital birth rate, and the highest infant mortality rate in the developed world.

Quoting Anonymous:

There are also a lot less infant mortalities and mothers who die in childbirth because of modern medicine.  There are many things that could contribute to increase in high risk pregnancies, obesity rates being a big one.  Knowledge and knowing risks another.

I highly doubt your assertation that a medical hospital poses more risk than a homebirth.  

It doesn't take research to use common sense.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting SincerelyMine:

ETA:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)