Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No more toys!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 15 Replies

I've always tried to give my DS all the things I never had...even though we don't make alot of money my husband and I go without alot to get him stuff he wants. Recently he's had such a lack of respect for us and throwing huge fits about having to clean up his room...I decided to clean house and throw away most of his stuff (he's really rough on his toys and most of them are broken and he refused to throw them out) Anyways there are a few things he fancies over everything else and I didn't throw them out one of which was his big buzz light year action figure which cost like 45-50 dollars I wasn't keen on buying it for him but my husband really wanted to get it and he wanted it so bad. So when we had money we went and got it. Yesterday while cleaning up I asked him where he wanted to keep buzz and he said "I don't want it anymore" Really?! I put it up in the closet and he didn't care at all. I told him no more toys for the rest of the year, I'm so tired of buying him things for him to either break them or just not give a crap about them. I also talked to my husband about only buying him one thing on christmas and his birthday. He has become so ungrateful and when I was a child I cherished everything I got because I didn't get things often. My birthdays and christmases were like any other day minus the 3 times I got a birthday cake. Do you buy your kids toys through out the year "just because"?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM
They get rewards for good behavior and doing their chores, other than that, no.

You should learn how to discipline your child... I guess this is step one.
xXxLillithxXx
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM

He does get disciplined. Most of it does nothing for him though for reasons I won't discuss in this post.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Because you weren't consistent and rewarded him for his bad behavior?

Quoting xXxLillithxXx:

He does get disciplined. Most of it does nothing for him though for reasons I won't discuss in this post.

Quoting Anonymous:

xXxLillithxXx
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM

No but thanks for guessing :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting xXxLillithxXx:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM
You posted and I gave you an answer. If you can't handle the truth then don't ask.

Quoting xXxLillithxXx:

No but thanks for guessing :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting xXxLillithxXx:

Quoting Anonymous:

villagemamma
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I definitely dont mean this to come out rude because im sure your a wonderful mother, but i think that kids learn how to treat things from their parents. Not necessarily meaning that you dont appreciate your things but it could be a nonchalance about things because he always has so much stuff. Kids need to learn to earn the things that they have and be forced to treat them with respect. Its a lesson that you can start teaching them at a very young age through chores and such. My daughter is only 4 and already is in charge of cleaning up all her toys at the end of the night. and if she leaves them laying around they go into a little box and she has to earn them back (usually through being helpful to mommy and daddy or good behavior). I know the feeling of wanting your kid to have everything that you never got as a kid. i have that same issue at times. But especially with children less is more and appreciation is key. Since they have no concept of money they need to be taught that things dont just get handed to them for no reason. They need to learn that to have nice things they need to work hard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Yes we do but he also knows that I will take any of those new or old tpys to goodwill if he doesn't listen. I also clean out his toys right before his birthday and Christmas. I actually have about 2 months before his birthday soi will probably start going through things soon.
Wolfy714
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

i understand where you are coming from, my son is the same way..........he has issues.. an thats just the way he is...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Oh well. Maybe he will learn. My ds is the only grandchild to both sets of grandparents. So he is spoiled rotten. I need to have another kid so it can even out......

Nicole1357
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Yeah I buy my children things through out the year if I can afford it at the time. But recently we have been buying less. Do not reward bad behavior.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN