Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A punch in the face. Why is this any different?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
There was a post the other day where a raging debate took place as to whether its ok for a parent to bite a child back for biting to show them it's painful. The OP asked multiple times if that same child were to punch someone in the face would it be ok for a parent to punch that child in the face in order to prove the same point? Surprisingly nobody answered so I ask that same question.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

No. I personally think its stupid and hypocritical to do that. You tell then not to do something then you go and do it.

melschlegs
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

It's one thing to try to teach empathy, but that's a bit much.  My aunt would teach her kids empathy by doing things that they did (but didn't like, themselves) back to them.  When I say that, I mean things that were annoying, and the closest thing she would do that would be considered "physical" was tugging their hair (lightly) when they would pull each other's hair.  They learned quickly to think before they did things... but there's a line.  Hitting, pinching, slapping, and biting are way across that line.

catchup29
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
This is simple. My children would have never punched me in the face. But as sure as im typing this, had they ever felt crazy enough to, it would be the last time they punched anyone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaBurmie
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, what a great way to show your child that hitting isn't ok....

Sarcasm.
twin_mama_x_2
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:37 AM
No.you don't teach them not to do something by doing it to them.with my kids & the kids i work with,talking it out is best.if they bite,don't overreact,comfort the child who has been bitten,& tell the biter very firmly no-teeth may only be used for biting food & biting hurts & it hurt their friend.that could work for any situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this
When you say there is a line. How do you conclude where that line is?

Quoting melschlegs:

It's one thing to try to teach empathy, but that's a bit much.  My aunt would teach her kids empathy by doing things that they did (but didn't like, themselves) back to them.  When I say that, I mean things that were annoying, and the closest thing she would do that would be considered "physical" was tugging their hair (lightly) when they would pull each other's hair.  They learned quickly to think before they did things... but there's a line.  Hitting, pinching, slapping, and biting are way across that line.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Seriously, anyone with a biter knows it works... stupid and ridiculous question, you really want to encourage punching kids, your sick.........

Nika87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:48 AM
Stupid question.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Tell that to my girlfriend who has bitten her dd back twice and it hasn't worked (she's still biting). And why is my question ridiculous? Your doing the same behavior you are trying to stop in order to make a point are you not?

Quoting Anonymous:

Seriously, anyone with a biter knows it works... stupid and ridiculous question, you really want to encourage punching kids, your sick.........

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:56 AM
How so? Explain the difference as the principle is the same.

Quoting Nika87:

Stupid question.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN