Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A punch in the face. Why is this any different?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
There was a post the other day where a raging debate took place as to whether its ok for a parent to bite a child back for biting to show them it's painful. The OP asked multiple times if that same child were to punch someone in the face would it be ok for a parent to punch that child in the face in order to prove the same point? Surprisingly nobody answered so I ask that same question.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:03 AM
Which is exactly my point. But, it's ok to bite to show that biting isn't ok?

Quoting MamaBurmie:

Yeah, what a great way to show your child that hitting isn't ok....

Sarcasm.

Nika87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Biting and punching a kid in the face isn't even comparable!!!!! Therefore, stupid question

Quoting Anonymous:

How so? Explain the difference as the principle is the same.

Quoting Nika87:

Stupid question.....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovehimforever
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:26 AM
Where i live it is child abuse if you hit a child with your fist closed. So punching your child in the face would be considered child abuse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I think people are forgetting an important thing here. The point is to teach the child the golden rule. If you don't something bad to someone it will also happen to you, so if you don't like it don't do it. In addition to teaching consequences. Every punishment or discipline tactic can be taken overboard. And I covered this before but maybe a different post.

Timeout for 1 minute per year of age is acceptable.
Locking child in dark room for hours is not

Spanking on the bottom not leaving marks with open hand acceptable.
Beating child with belt leaving welts is not acceptable.

Lightly biting child not breaking the skin or leaving marks acceptable.
Biting child so hard there's a bruise not acceptable.

Making child do extra chores acceptable.
Making child do soapy extra chores they don't sleep for two days not acceptable.

These are just examples of most discipline methods. The first being considered an acceptable way to use the method an the second being going over board. This is why biting and punching your child in the face are different.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:35 AM
You are completely missing my point. How is it different? You are saying you bit therefore I will bite you and that's ok vs. you punched and therefore I will punch you and that's not ok. What am I missing here?

Quoting Nika87:

Biting and punching a kid in the face isn't even comparable!!!!! Therefore, stupid question

Quoting Anonymous:

How so? Explain the difference as the principle is the same.

Quoting Nika87:

Stupid question.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:37 AM
And I say no they are not. You are repeating the same behavior that you are trying to correct. I don't care how you are doing it for the fact is you're doing it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think people are forgetting an important thing here. The point is to teach the child the golden rule. If you don't something bad to someone it will also happen to you, so if you don't like it don't do it. In addition to teaching consequences. Every punishment or discipline tactic can be taken overboard. And I covered this before but maybe a different post.

Making child do soapy extra chores they don't sleep for two days not acceptable.

These are just examples of most discipline methods. The first being considered an acceptable way to use the method an the second being going over board. This is why biting and punching your child in the face are different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:42 AM
You choose which method discipline you want or like. But by law these are all acceptable. It's how far you take it. If you don't want to accept my answer fine. But it's not about if you agree or like it. That IS the difference. Yes same method, same principle. I agree. But the extent you take it to is way different. So there is your difference.

Quoting Anonymous:

And I say no they are not. You are repeating the same behavior that you are trying to correct. I don't care how you are doing it for the fact is you're doing it.

Quoting Anonymous:

12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:48 AM

i wouldn't do any of that. but i have been known to ask my kids to imagine they were treated as they had someone else.. 'how would you feel if your brother pushed you down? would that hurt you and make you sad?'. i think that's sufficient. they are pretty good to each other. i feel no need to knock anyone to the ground or anything to illustrate my point. i would feel like a complete psycho who had lost all control if i did that.. really.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Not that you implied this, but tell my girlfriend who is dealing with a 3 year old biter how well biting a child back works. She's done it twice and her dd is still biting. I was with her when she did it the second time and it was not done gently (no marks or skin broken, but she did it pretty hard). That's why I find these types of methods ridiculous.

Quoting Anonymous:

You choose which method discipline you want or like. But by law these are all acceptable. It's how far you take it. If you don't want to accept my answer fine. But it's not about if you agree or like it. That IS the difference. Yes same method, same principle. I agree. But the extent you take it to is way different. So there is your difference.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:55 AM
You are a raging idiot, it has nothing to do with one hurting more then the other, and has EVERYTHING to do with leading by example.
Good grief, unbelievable that you could possibly break it down with justification, whether you do it or not.
Disgusting.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am sorry, but your question is ludicrous. I would not do either, but there is a huge difference between a parent biting a child with a little bit of force in order to show them what they are doing can be hurtful to other children without seriously hurting them vs. an adult punching a child in the face which could seriously injure them or possibly send them to the hospital. Again, I wouldn't do either, but there is no comparison.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)