Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The majority of military recruits are low-income and poorly educated EDIT With emphasis for those who skim and clarification

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Throughout the history of the United States the military has been a haven for at risk male youth. Poor men and women with families enlist with the hopes of providing for their families and travelling the world while helping their country. Unfortunately, they too often find that they are away from their family for months or years at a time and they still struggle to pay bills.

Now, with social media we are also finding how poorly educated our military forces are when they post  facebook and other updates that are clearly written by someone who is illiterate.

I don't mean to insult anyone, but I'm truly scared about the state of our military forces. I in no way want to minimize the sacrifice they provide to our country. I just want our government to actually provide for its people. Educational opportunities are scarce for them, as well. I grew up with my father in the navy and believe me, he typified the low income recruit stereotype. I also still live in a largely military community and work and interact with military on a daily basis.

I actually want them to receive better pay and education. I'm trying to stand up for them. It's the military system that is broken, not the brave men and women who serve.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:34 AM
Replies (31-40):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I will say that I *did* see some young fresh out of HS kids when Dh was in the AF a million years ago. They were not poor, just young. Dh had a 2 year degree when he enlisted. We were not poor until we joined the AF. LOL ... He grossed $13-$15K per year, they did not have housing for us for the first 6 months we were stationed in ND, so even with BAH, we had to pay $400+ per month out of pocket for rent, plus groceries and gas to get to base 14 miles one way. It was hard to get out from under that debt of having to live off base, but once DH separated, we were able to do so . He did finish his 4 year degree while in the military and now has a Masters with thoughts of a Ph D. We have been much better off financially in the almost 14 years that he has been a civilian.

The education issue is not due to the military. It is due to people not taking pride in themselves and their education while they are young. Another issue is that some parents don't take interest in their childrens' education either.

Making broad generalizations is not the mark of intelligence. Being intelligent means that you can think logically and not compartmentalize others into a box that fits your perception.  

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Yes, they're required to have a high school diploma to enlist. I knew that. A high school diploma is nothing today. I am very familiar with the military. I have no daddy issues. I actually think they deserve better than they get.

Quoting KDA1202:

Sorry "anonymous," but you are a f*cking idiot who knows NOTHING about the state of today's U.S. military.  Your comments are extremely offensive.  I suggest you go deal witih your daddy issues and stop bashing the remainder of the military.  Do some research before you start shooting off your ignorant mouth.  Here are some numbers for the enlisted force from the U.S. Air Force web site (http://www.af.mil/): 99.9 percent of the enlisted force have at least a high school education; 73.3 percent have some semester hours toward a college degree; 16.2 percent have an associate's degree or equivalent semester hours;  4.7 percent have a bachelor's degree; 0.7 percent have a master's degree and .01 percent have a professional or doctorate degree.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:57 AM
I'm pretty sure militaries have been like that since countries have been going to war
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KDA1202
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Why don't you grow a pair and post under your real name?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Don't you think that they deserve to be paid more for what they do? That was my point about low income service men who find out they're still low income when they join the military. The actual men and women's pay and benefits are usually the first things cut or frozen when the military finds itself in a budget crisis. They would never think to cut unnecessary costs for tanks that will never be used, no they cut service benefits, like tuition assistance.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I will say that I *did* see some young fresh out of HS kids when Dh was in the AF a million years ago. They were not poor, just young. Dh had a 2 year degree when he enlisted. We were not poor until we joined the AF. LOL ... He grossed $13-$15K per year, they did not have housing for us for the first 6 months we were stationed in ND, so even with BAH, we had to pay $400+ per month out of pocket for rent, plus groceries and gas to get to base 14 miles one way. It was hard to get out from under that debt of having to live off base, but once DH separated, we were able to do so . He did finish his 4 year degree while in the military and now has a Masters with thoughts of a Ph D. We have been much better off financially in the almost 14 years that he has been a civilian.

The education issue is not due to the military. It is due to people not taking pride in themselves and their education while they are young. Another issue is that some parents don't take interest in their childrens' education either.

Making broad generalizations is not the mark of intelligence. Being intelligent means that you can think logically and not compartmentalize others into a box that fits your perception.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:00 AM

You are making me laugh.. holy crap on the front line and read your orders properly, standing in the dark, after days of being awake and nasty and hungry, but you think they hand you a piece of paper and tell you okay we are about to shoot now..  Half the crap they tell you is shouted down the line there genuis, what the heck kind of military base are you near????????????? 

F*** you need to work on your communication if this is what your original post was supposed to be about. 

Quoting Anonymous:

How am I bashing when I feel that they deserve better? I want them to be paid enough where they don't qualify for food stamps if they have kids. I want the person who is on the front lines to be able to read his or her orders properly and communicate to their superiors.

Everyone points to the GI bill, but many let their GI bill expire, unused or underused, after they leave the service. This is one of the main reasons we end up with so many out of work veterans.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Actually, their formal placement orders are generally written. I work with a civilian agency that helps service men and women with transitioning to civilian life. I am familiar with the military.

Quoting Anonymous:

You are making me laugh.. holy crap on the front line and read your orders properly, standing in the dark, after days of being awake and nasty and hungry, but you think they hand you a piece of paper and tell you okay we are about to shoot now..  Half the crap they tell you is shouted down the line there genuis, what the heck kind of military base are you near????????????? 

F*** you need to work on your communication if this is what your original post was supposed to be about. 

Quoting Anonymous:

How am I bashing when I feel that they deserve better? I want them to be paid enough where they don't qualify for food stamps if they have kids. I want the person who is on the front lines to be able to read his or her orders properly and communicate to their superiors.

Everyone points to the GI bill, but many let their GI bill expire, unused or underused, after they leave the service. This is one of the main reasons we end up with so many out of work veterans.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:08 AM
You messed up an it's/its in your op. Go see if you can find it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Holy run on sentences. You proved one of my points.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think its it's great if you have someone with no chance of going anywhere in life. and They can become a successful employed healthy person by serving their country, and getting  gaining confidence, and a chance to see world and get an education.  I see nothing wrong with it at all, but to say all people in the military fit that profile, I think you are sadly mistaken.  MY dh and I both served in the Marines and we knew lots of people from both sides (rich, poor) just like anywhere else in life. The problem I would focus on in the military would be the abuse of women and the fact of "cheating." These are the people risking their lives so you can freely spout crap like this, and your you're just worried that they are too dumb... disgusting.

Izryalsmom
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Izryalsmom:

So sad that people have to bash those that serve. Where do you fit in all of this? You obviously aren't out there protecting our country. For someone who comes from a military background, you sure are an ungrateful snob. Why not take your smug education and enlist? Obviously, you think that's what it takes to serve ones country. Oh, and before you bash me too, I am a former military child. My mom and dad both served in the Army, and my stepdad served in both the Army and Navy. I'm very proud of that fact, as YOU should be. How DISHONORED would your father feel to hear you talk like that? You should be thankful there are people out there willing to do the job you won't.

You can't blame the system for those that choose not to use te resources provided to them. It's not the militaries fault that people don't get good grades in high school, or end up dropping out and getting a GED. How much more do they have to be given? You can't force someone to want to better themselves, all you can do is provide the tools. I think the military does that very adequately. As the saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I feel badly for anyone having to have your help with your view on the military. I cannot imagine from what you have posted here several times, that your job is to "HELP" people.   Do you have any idea what the military thinks of civilian employees who work on base like you?? Believe me, worse than you think of them...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)