Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dandruff???? Help!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've dealt with dandruff for years now. The only thing I haven't tried is the "no poo" method. I have really long hair and hate that I can't wear it down and am embarrassed to get it cut. Nothing over the counter has worked. Once a few years a rx shampoo worked. But I didn't have refills. I'll go back to the doc if needed but I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong. Literally as my hair dries bad dandruff appears. Like huge flakes. Not little spots. My routine is this:
About twice a week I wash my hair with treseme shampoo and conditioner. Hot showers if that matters.
I don't blow dry, color, or do anything with my hair other than put it in a bun and go. I wash it if I'm going to try and wear it down but that doesn't happen anymore. I gave up. But I want to have my hair cut and wear it down more. Any advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:47 AM
I thought this which I why I got the rx once. But my diets good and I don't over use products etc. I don't have dry skin. I'm trying to find out if there's something I'm doing wrong or if I just need to keep the rx forever.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

It's likely caused by a reaction to yeast - which naturally occurs but some people are sensitive to. Vinegar can help, but in my experience is not a cure. I use a shampoo with pyrithione zinc and wash weekly, though it recommends twice weekly. Some people have to continuously switch between zinc, selenium sulfide, and salicylic acid shampoos to keep it under control.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Will do. The other stuff you copy and pasted I have done. Everything except #6 which was about a certain type of oil I believe. So I'll look into that as well. I've been dealing with this for years. It's so annoying. Thank you for all the info!

Quoting Sassy762:

Check out this link

http://www.medicinenet.com/seborrhea/article.htm

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:57 AM
It sounds like you need to exfoliate and moisturize your scalp then. Real dandruff is more oily and scaly looking.

Quoting Anonymous:

Large, white and I'd say dry. They fall apart into more pieces when I try to pick out the visible ones so I can leave the house.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are they littl white dry flakes or larger oily off colored scaley looking flakes?

kappalopokis
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I have bad Psoriasis.  I've found nothing that works for it.  This post really isn't to be helpful, just sympathetic. Sorry Mama!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:05 AM
Hmmm. How would I do that? When I wash my hair I use my nails to clean everything off my scalp the best I can. What would moisturizer it? I work the conditioner in. It doesn't itch unless I wait too long to wash my hair. Twice a week is usually enough.

Quoting Anonymous:

It sounds like you need to exfoliate and moisturize your scalp then. Real dandruff is more oily and scaly looking.

Quoting Anonymous:

Large, white and I'd say dry. They fall apart into more pieces when I try to pick out the visible ones so I can leave the house.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are they littl white dry flakes or larger oily off colored scaley looking flakes?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:05 AM
Any other symptoms or places? Or just your scalp?

Quoting kappalopokis:

I have bad Psoriasis.  I've found nothing that works for it.  This post really isn't to be helpful, just sympathetic. Sorry Mama!

PinaiAngelPai15
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Mine gets really bad.  I use tea tree shampoo and it works wonders on my hair.

kappalopokis
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:12 AM

I have a couple of patches on my arms, but very small ones.  It's been years since I've had any really bad places. 

So, jsut my scalp and behind my ears. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Any other symptoms or places? Or just your scalp?

Quoting kappalopokis:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Someone else suggested adding tea tree oil to my shampoo. Is that what you do? Or is Ina specific shampoo? Im going to try this. It would be easier I think than trying to make sure I always have a rx. But if I don't find an answer soon I think I'll ask my doc for a rx with lots of refills.

Quoting PinaiAngelPai15:

PinaiAngelPai15
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Someone else suggested adding tea tree oil to my shampoo. Is that what you do? Or is Ina specific shampoo? Im going to try this. It would be easier I think than trying to make sure I always have a rx. But if I don't find an answer soon I think I'll ask my doc for a rx with lots of refills.

Quoting PinaiAngelPai15:

I go to the salon right by where I live and buy tea tree shampoo.  I'll take a pic here in a sec and post it for you to see.  It really helps my hair.  I used to use peanut oil in my hair too, that helped.  I can't remember where I got it at cuz it's been a while.  DD's allergic to peanuts so I don't use it anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)