Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dandruff???? Help!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've dealt with dandruff for years now. The only thing I haven't tried is the "no poo" method. I have really long hair and hate that I can't wear it down and am embarrassed to get it cut. Nothing over the counter has worked. Once a few years a rx shampoo worked. But I didn't have refills. I'll go back to the doc if needed but I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong. Literally as my hair dries bad dandruff appears. Like huge flakes. Not little spots. My routine is this:
About twice a week I wash my hair with treseme shampoo and conditioner. Hot showers if that matters.
I don't blow dry, color, or do anything with my hair other than put it in a bun and go. I wash it if I'm going to try and wear it down but that doesn't happen anymore. I gave up. But I want to have my hair cut and wear it down more. Any advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
PinaiAngelPai15
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

They also sell big bottles of it @ Sally's. Different brand but it works the same.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
barneysaid
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:36 AM
Have you tried head & shoulders?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Oh yeah. I've tried every dandruff shampoo over the counter. A couple would make it better for like a day. And that's it.

Quoting barneysaid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:43 AM
I have the same problem and i have tried the shampoo and it hasnt helped.
barneysaid
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Wow. That really sucks :( are doctors any help? Maybe you have a condition or something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh yeah. I've tried every dandruff shampoo over the counter. A couple would make it better for like a day. And that's it.

Quoting barneysaid:

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I have the SAME. EXACT. PROBLEM.

I recently switched my shampoo to this:

I purchase it at WalMart. Kinda pricey but works great for me.

Also, Dove conditioner. I wash my hair, typically, every other day.

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. 

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:27 AM

dandruff is dry skin on the scalp.  i used to have bad dandruff especially in the winter when it was at its worst. what i did:

1. overhauled my diet - cut out all the crap/junk/sugar etc.  in general, i had dry skin and bad eczema.  since changing my eating habits, 100% better, it's truly amazing.
  2. stop taking hot showers.  dry skin is exacerbated by hot water as it dries out the skin further.  use warm showers and don't stay too long
  3. avoid those shampoos like what you're using now/what you find in the drugstores.  either get special dandruff shampoo or switch to an all-natural brand.  since switching to an all-natural brand, i don't have to wash every day (you shouldn't anyway if you  have dry hair/skin) and it doesn't have that weird "smell" even when i don't wash it daily.  i can't explain that smell to you but when i was using regular drugstore shampoo, if i didn't wash my hair every day, it would 'feel' dirty, oily and have a weird dirty smell.  since i started using natural shampoo, i don't have any of those symptoms and no more dandruff
  4. drink lots of water every day to promote hydration internally and externally to your skin
  5. add fish oil supplements to your daily diet.  this has had the most impact to my skin/dandruff.

i did this years ago and haven't had dandruff since.  hope this helps!

good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM

You need to wash your hair at the very minimum every other day. The flakes are just accumulating and building up on your scalp. Look for a shampoo with salicylic acid in it and really rub it into your scalp. You may even want to use a brush like that tangle teezer on your scalp to loosen all those flakes. Find a conditioner without silicones and really massage it in your scalp when you are done. Twice a week is not good enough to get rid of that problem.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmmm. How would I do that? When I wash my hair I use my nails to clean everything off my scalp the best I can. What would moisturizer it? I work the conditioner in. It doesn't itch unless I wait too long to wash my hair. Twice a week is usually enough.

Quoting Anonymous:

It sounds like you need to exfoliate and moisturize your scalp then. Real dandruff is more oily and scaly looking.

Quoting Anonymous:

Large, white and I'd say dry. They fall apart into more pieces when I try to pick out the visible ones so I can leave the house.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are they littl white dry flakes or larger oily off colored scaley looking flakes?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Bump
softkitty369
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I have the same problem. The way I handle it is to only wash may hair once a week. I will wash it sooner then that if the itching gets really bad. I also don't use very hot water. The heat can actually. dry the scalp out and make things worse. I use Head and Shoulder but there is also other medicated shapoos. One type has selinium sulfide and the other type has pyrone (sp?) zinc. You just have to look on the bottle to see which one has which. If one doesn't work, try the other. I will wash my hair, then leave the shampoo in for a few minutes and let it soak into my scalp. Then I rinse it out. I also will change my shampoo and conditioner every bottle or so. This helps because shampoo will pull the moisture out of your scalp. That's what its supposed to do, but some will go too far and pull out so much that they can cause dandruff. Plus over time shampoo and conditioner can actually build up on your scalp and cause dandruff as well. This is way changing them often hlps. Also when you rinse your hair, make sure you rinse well. Once again residue = dandruff. Once I'm done with my shower, I will not dry my hair. I will simply put my hair into a towel and let it sit. The heat from my head along with the moisture from the water create a great sauna effect and it helps put the moisture back into the scalp and it helps with the itching. I leave the towel on until it falls off by itself. You can also try baby oil. It works for cradle cap and it will work on dandruff too. Just slather your scalp with the oil before you go to sleep at night. You can use a towel or a shower cap to keep it from getting all over your pillow. When you get up in the morning, don't wash your hair. Simply rinse out the oil , using shampoo only defeats the purpose. I would leave your hair like that till the next morning, then use shampoo. I hope this helps. We "snowy" sisters got to stick togther. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)