Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giving chocolate to a 7 month old?! Update

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM
  • 453 Replies
2 moms liked this
DS turns 8 months this Thursday but my mother informed me that she got him chocolate for his Easter basket o_O I told her an almost 8 month old cant have chocolate.. She said "oh yes he can! I got him one of those big bunnies so he can just suck on the ears!" Ok.... What if he bites a chunk off and starts choking?! Not to mention the sugar content!!
So (honest question, I will not bash you no matter what your answer is) did you give your baby chocolate this young?? Was it sugar free? Why or why not?

Happy Easter everyone!!! :)

Lol I really hate it when my posts get featured! I have too much to do to keep up with hundreds of responses!!! :-P

Update: Ok so I'm a bit peeved! He had a TINY taste of chocolate but what upset me is that I had already said no and my aunt gave it to him when I wasnt looking. Then said she didnt but my 6 year old neice was right there and never lies so she immediately said "Yes you did!!". I am angry that she did it behind my back and then lied about it! She was like, "Oh well I wanted to give him something for the first time!" well, there are mashed potatoes right there and he's never had those!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

ummm no. 

kiddycat73
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Chocolate is NOT good for babies!! I'm not a sugar Nazi or anything, but none of my kids got chocolate until they were 3 or 4.
norahsmommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM
16 moms liked this
Maybe a tiny tidbit, maybe. But no I wouldn't let a baby just suck on the ears. And no sugar free anything ever. It's full of nasty chemicals. Real or nothing at all.
AJsMom81507
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:54 AM
35 moms liked this

yes they can.

i dont get it.  its Easter, a lick here and there wont hurt a child.  now give it to him everyday for breakfast lunch and dinner than i would call you a shitty parent and her a shitty grandmother, but it wont kill him

gina6239
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:54 AM

DD probably had a few bites of chocolate ice cream at that point, but no candy! Does he have teeth? I don't think she ever had candy until she was over a year old. But she did have cookies once she had teeth. Do what you think is best/safe for your child!

Pennerb924
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM
4 moms liked this

They can east TINY TINY pieces I mean just big enough to taste it. I do it with my daughter all the time shes 10 months old.

bear.katten
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this
"It wont kill him" is not a valid response to this post... OBVIOUSLY it wont KILL him! lol

Quoting AJsMom81507:

yes they can.

i dont get it.  its Easter, a lick here and there wont hurt a child.  now give it to him everyday for breakfast lunch and dinner than i would call you a shitty parent and her a shitty grandmother, but it wont kill him

LadySaphira
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
3 moms liked this

I did when my kids were around that age. Not a whole bunny to suck on but a small sliver (think thin chocolate curl) that would pretty much melt completely in their mouths and just couple of them. Maybe your mom intends for you to "help" eat it?

bear.katten
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
He has 2 bottom teeth :)

Quoting gina6239:

DD probably had a few bites of chocolate ice cream at that point, but no candy! Does he have teeth? I don't think she ever had candy until she was over a year old. But she did have cookies once she had teeth. Do what you think is best/safe for your child!

Hi_Rae
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
5 moms liked this
More candy for you
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured