Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"We beat you to it WELFARE mom!" :(

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 101 Replies

Yesterday I was out shopping with my two kids, saw an opening at a checkout and some guy and his wife I assume, with their kids came along real fast and got there first. I had only 8 items, he and his family had a cart full of things. The woman said out loud, "Haha we beat you to it welfare mom!" And their kids were laughing and her and her husband shared a kiss. I didn't say anything, just backed away and went to another checkout. This happened at Target btw. Why do people assume when they see a woman with kids and no husband automatically think they're on PA? Maybe the way I dress? I never wear makeup, I wear baggyclothing cause there's no need for me to dress like a clown or superstar when I'm out shopping. My hair is always in a pony tail. I don't dress to impress, I'm just me, but that image seems to always offend people particularly women.    

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Well, are you on PA?

LadyGrey2514
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:54 AM
11 moms liked this
Women are bitches, calling you a 'welfare mom' was probably her weird justification for being a selfish hag.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kidlover2
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:54 AM
No idea. I have been a single mom for 2 years and I rarely " dress up" to go shopping. No one has ever accused me of being on pa and for a chunk of the time, I was.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
malibucj
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I've learned some people are just inconsiderate idiots.
Two_Hearts
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

She sounded like a very immature person that has a low self esteem so to make herself feel better she has to put down other people 

I wouldn't take it personally , im betting if you were all dolled up she would have acted the same way

seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM
22 moms liked this

So, she's proud of winning a foot race to the check out line?

Just feel sorry for her.  If that is a feat worth celebrating in their family imagine how low the bar is set.

bxmom2580
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you, people can be so ignorant
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM
14 moms liked this

I was at a checkout one day and a couple behind me without concern for their speaking volume were talking about how it must be the first of the month with all the things I had in my cart, and that food stamps were getting a beating today. When my total came up I pulled out cash and paid for it and turned around and told the shits that " if you can't afford the things in my cart, maybe it's you that needs the welfare" The look was worth the remark, and the cashier seemed to appreciate the retort. Like you, I'm a basic girl. I prefer my sweats to designer anything, my hair is ponied and there isn't a stitch of make up on me. So I too must have been a welfare mom.

idunno1234
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

There's no getting around the fact that some people are assholes.  Sorry that they're passing the assholeness down to the next generation.

This is the type of situation  when I wish to hell I had a great comeback line, the most perfect of all comeback lines in history, for a whole audience to witness.  A line that will shame these people and change their petty little lives and their childrens' for the better, forever.   The problem is, I can never think of those great comebacks until afterwards and the fact of the matter is the only thing that would change people like that is if life humbled the shit out of them. 

delilahsmom1177
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I would have said something.. but that's just me

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)