Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*sigh* WHY did I even bother?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

I am a single mom to a wonderful autistic boy.  We don't have much family.  So when we had out Easter dinner, it was just the 2 of us.

I slaved and cooked a small turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce (not canned), steamed broccoli and carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

My son took a bite of stuffing and gagged "it feels weird".   He didn't like the turkey because it was "too soft"  I sweated and basted my butt off to make it that way on purpose.  The cranberry sauce apparently isn't a food, "I can't eat that, it's jam."  

He ate an entire plate of broccoli.

Then announced himself too ful for the cake I made.

Why did I even bother making us dinner?

*sigh*

**so I don't have to explain in replies kids with autism have certain texture issues.  It is  not a discipline or etiquette issue.  It's something you learn to roll with (to an extent) as an autism mom.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:29 PM

bumpity

BeAmour
by Tonya on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Maybe he'll eat it tomorrow.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Hey even I have texture issues. I really hate Turkey. I mean hate it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk
Why did you bother?
Not trying to sound mean. But aren't traditions kind of lost on autistic kids ? It's not like he will look back and have warm fuzzy memories of family holidays.
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure it depends which end of the spectrum they're on, but doesn't autism make it very difficult to even understand let Alone have emotional ties and bonding and relationships?
FL2AK
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Kids are a pain sometimes even without a disability. I have asked mine to take a break from the sarcasm today.
PerfectVirgo
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Awwww. At least he has an excuse. My family randomly doesn't eat what I cook.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I have an autistic son. I know exactly where you are coming from. Ignore ignorant comments. People who don't have autistic kids always think it's a discipline issue when it is not even close. *hugs* mama.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Dd8 has texture issues and she isn't autistic. She can't eat beans at all. So I don't force her.

Quoting Pink.Sunshine.:

Hey even I have texture issues. I really hate Turkey. I mean hate it.

OceanGoddess
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM
At least you know in ur heart that he loves you :-) we go through this daily! We cook dinner and half of it our son gags on because if the texture.
VinVanMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Yah non autistic kids do the same stuff with new foods. Try to be happy you have him with you. I spend years wanting kids missing them every holiday. Maybe next time have him help decide and cook the menu? At the end of the day I can slave away and they still want little chasers five dollar pizza...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)