Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Only taking the Bible literally when it is convenient to YOU

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 191 Replies
13 moms liked this

Sooo....gay marriage is wrong, well, because the Bible says so of course.

But doesn't the Bible also say that premarital sex is wrong? And that women should be submissive to their husbands?

Most people I know, Christians of course, do not follow these particular parts of the Bible. Usually the answer is "well, I don't think that was meant to be taken literally" or "things were different back then".

So why is it you only follow the marriage laws of the Bible that are convenient for you but when gays want to marry, all of a sudden we MUST take the Bible word for word and NO NO NO, gay people cannot get married and you will push that on them citing your religion for your reasons?

But you excuse yourself of following any part of the Bible you don't think is ok and come up with ridiculous excuses that for whatever reason can only be applied to the versus you don't want to be forced to follow? What's up with that? 

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't follow the bible because it's silly.
starlight91
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM

So everyone is being human,

dont tell me youve never driven past the speed limit, its wrong but you still did it. Just like every human being does.

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM
4 moms liked this

I never said I didn't. I don't follow the Bible in any way, I'm Atheist. If everyone is being human, why do they not allow gays to be human also? 

Quoting starlight91:

dont tell me youve never driven past the speed limit, its wrong but you still did it. Just like every human being does.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Submit to ONE ANOTHER, actually.  It's not the kingly man lording it over his slave woman. 

Of course premarital sex is wrong.  Sex outside of marriage is wrong for very good reasons, like our physical protection from diseases.  One can ignore that at his peril. 

If you know Christians who are contending that their unmarried sex is fine, but gay people shouldn't be having sex, well, you are right...they are hypocritical.

alison35
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Interesting point. This is why I don't practice organized religion. I believe in, and have a relationship with God. I read the bible to my kids as a guide of good lessons and stories. The Bible was written by man and what they're doing now, as far as using it when it's convenient for them is exactly how it was written in the first place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

The Bible is pretty clear about homosexuality, multiple times, but the salvation of homosexuals is not my problem, I have myself and my loved ones to deal with!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM
3 moms liked this
I submit to my husband, strive to be a Titus 2 wife, I believe you should save sex for marriage, and I don't agree with homosexual relationships. I do my best to follow God's law.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM
5 moms liked this

If gay people want everyone else to be tolerant of them getting married, then they need to get the hell off their high horses and stop trying to force churches to do something that is against their beliefs.  You don't get to expect everyone else to understand and be tolerant of your beliefs if you're not willing to reciprocate by understanding and being tolerant of theirs as well.  There is a civil path for marriage that is just as legitimate and they can still have their big party or ceremony anywhere else they'd like.  They shouldn't be allowed to use their chosen sexual orientation to bully others into doing something they don't believe in. 

FL2AK
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM
People take the Bible out of context and forget about the times and the places that are depicted. I was taught the Bible as a historical text which I think helped my understanding of it and Christianity as a whole.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starlight91
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Just as your example was about Christians and the bible, my example was about you driving.

Why is it okay for you to do some thing wrong and not others , because they are Christians?

Because all humans have a right to their opinion and just because their opinion isnt the one you ( general you) want, you think they should change their opinion.

Quoting lovinmama411:

I never said I didn't. I don't follow the Bible in any way, I'm Atheist. If everyone is being human, why do they not allow gays to be human also? 

Quoting starlight91:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN