Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Only taking the Bible literally when it is convenient to YOU

Posted by   + Show Post

Sooo....gay marriage is wrong, well, because the Bible says so of course.

But doesn't the Bible also say that premarital sex is wrong? And that women should be submissive to their husbands?

Most people I know, Christians of course, do not follow these particular parts of the Bible. Usually the answer is "well, I don't think that was meant to be taken literally" or "things were different back then".

So why is it you only follow the marriage laws of the Bible that are convenient for you but when gays want to marry, all of a sudden we MUST take the Bible word for word and NO NO NO, gay people cannot get married and you will push that on them citing your religion for your reasons?

But you excuse yourself of following any part of the Bible you don't think is ok and come up with ridiculous excuses that for whatever reason can only be applied to the versus you don't want to be forced to follow? What's up with that? 

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Replies (111-120):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM

What I meant by that was a "lesser citizen"...And if you aren't trying to make others believe anything, then neither are Christians trying to make you believe anything by believing what they believe.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

You mean the civil rights movements in the 60's? If so yes they were considered citizens. What history books are you reading? I am not trying to make you believe anything. I am trying to make love love and marriage is about love right?

Quoting Anonymous:

And you can not make others believe what you want them to either. And if you REALLY want to get technical, marriage is equal for everyone. Everyone can marry someone of the opposite sex and no one can marry someone of the same sex. It isn't as if homosexuals aren't considered citizens like blacks were in the civil rights movements....it is a little different.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

You can not make others believe what you believe and by trying to keep marrage equality illegal os just spreading hate and making others believe what you believe.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, what you are saying is:  I can have those opinions and beliefs as long as I don't stand up for them?  I should just allow things to go on that go against my beliefs.  However, those that are for gay marriage should be able to protest and spread the word with no opposition.......  

Furthermore-how about you believe what you believe and make sure you don't try to push it on anyone.  "Sit back with your opinion only living it in your personal life, I don't see anything wrong with that....."

Quoting lovinmama411:

You don't have to agree with gay marriage. I'm not gay, so guess what? I will never participate in a gay marriage. But that doesn't mean I have the right to force my opinion upon others in ways of denying them rights of legal marriage. That is my main issue. If you don't believe in gay marriage, that is your right and I respect that. BUT don't try forcing that on others when most of you don't even follow the book you preach. It's just an excuse to try to control the lives of others and quite sickening. If you don't go down and vote against gay marriage or try and stop gay marriage from happening, and you just sit back with your opinion only living it in your personal life, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, we shall agree to disagree.  I have argued this till I have been blue in the face!  If I don't agree with gay marriage then I am close-minded and such.....which is pretty hypocritical being that if you are allowed to have an opinion, so am I.....

Quoting lovinmama411:

Apples and oranges hun. You can't say that all pro-choicers are also for gay rights, two seperate issues with no connection. I'll tell you exactly where it ends. Marriage = Consenting Adults. Then end.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm an idiot?  So, unborn children are not consenting to being murdered but people push for that......

Where does it end.  Marriage=man+woman.  And I do think women should submit to their husbands......God has a wonderful plan, doesn't He?

Quoting lovinmama411:

You're an idiot. You are comparing consenting ADULTS to helpless animals and children who don't have the mental capacity to fit into the "consenting adults" category. That would be called a crime.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, should people be allowed to marry their neighbor's cat?  I mean, neither can make children and if they are both willing then why not?

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM
The difference is I don't see any Christians trying to make premarital sex or non submissively relationships illegal!

Quoting littlemoments99:

I follow it literally always. Both things you mentioned I believe in the Bible's stance. I did not have sex until I got married and I am submissive to my husband (although that does not mean what lots of women think it means)

I can explain with Bible verses what it means to be submissive. It's not about  doing whatever the husband says. It's about working together as a team, and only when you can't agree, you are to trust your husband. The husband doesn't think with emotions, like women do, and the husband should be following Christ and doing what he thinks is most pleasing to Jesus. That's what being submissive is. In a quick paraphrase. 

I don't excuse myself in anyway. I want to be like Jesus as much as I can be. If someone spots a problem in my life, I welcome them to tell me so I can work on fixing it. I don't want to be a hypocrite. I try my best not to be. I want to reflect Jesus' light to the world. I don't mind if people see my imperfections and talk to me about them because then I can show them how a Christian reacts. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by SakePrincess on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

When a cat can consent and sign a marriage license, recite vows, then sure!

Ignorant ass!

Quoting Anonymous:

So, should people be allowed to marry their neighbor's cat?  I mean, neither can make children and if they are both willing then why not?

Apparently some people have difficulty with the concept of consenting adults.

It makes their shaky arguments seem more stable, "seem" being the operative word.

delilahsmom1177
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Their not lesser citizens? OOOOOOOK ANyway making it LEGAL is not trying to make you believe anything different. Nobody is saying they will make a church marry them. They just want a legal marriage. Separation between church and state!

Quoting Anonymous:

What I meant by that was a "lesser citizen"...And if you aren't trying to make others believe anything, then neither are Christians trying to make you believe anything by believing what they believe.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

You mean the civil rights movements in the 60's? If so yes they were considered citizens. What history books are you reading? I am not trying to make you believe anything. I am trying to make love love and marriage is about love right?

Quoting Anonymous:

And you can not make others believe what you want them to either. And if you REALLY want to get technical, marriage is equal for everyone. Everyone can marry someone of the opposite sex and no one can marry someone of the same sex. It isn't as if homosexuals aren't considered citizens like blacks were in the civil rights movements....it is a little different.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

You can not make others believe what you believe and by trying to keep marrage equality illegal os just spreading hate and making others believe what you believe.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, what you are saying is:  I can have those opinions and beliefs as long as I don't stand up for them?  I should just allow things to go on that go against my beliefs.  However, those that are for gay marriage should be able to protest and spread the word with no opposition.......  

Furthermore-how about you believe what you believe and make sure you don't try to push it on anyone.  "Sit back with your opinion only living it in your personal life, I don't see anything wrong with that....."

Quoting lovinmama411:

You don't have to agree with gay marriage. I'm not gay, so guess what? I will never participate in a gay marriage. But that doesn't mean I have the right to force my opinion upon others in ways of denying them rights of legal marriage. That is my main issue. If you don't believe in gay marriage, that is your right and I respect that. BUT don't try forcing that on others when most of you don't even follow the book you preach. It's just an excuse to try to control the lives of others and quite sickening. If you don't go down and vote against gay marriage or try and stop gay marriage from happening, and you just sit back with your opinion only living it in your personal life, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, we shall agree to disagree.  I have argued this till I have been blue in the face!  If I don't agree with gay marriage then I am close-minded and such.....which is pretty hypocritical being that if you are allowed to have an opinion, so am I.....

Quoting lovinmama411:

Apples and oranges hun. You can't say that all pro-choicers are also for gay rights, two seperate issues with no connection. I'll tell you exactly where it ends. Marriage = Consenting Adults. Then end.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm an idiot?  So, unborn children are not consenting to being murdered but people push for that......

Where does it end.  Marriage=man+woman.  And I do think women should submit to their husbands......God has a wonderful plan, doesn't He?

Quoting lovinmama411:

You're an idiot. You are comparing consenting ADULTS to helpless animals and children who don't have the mental capacity to fit into the "consenting adults" category. That would be called a crime.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM

They were not legally the same as a white citizen.

Separation of church and state is not in the constitiution. Next, and not making it legal is not trying to make you believe differently either. Why are Christians not allowed to vote how they believe, but others can? Why is it force when Christians do it and not force when non-Christians do it.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Their not lesser citizens? OOOOOOOK ANyway making it LEGAL is not trying to make you believe anything different. Nobody is saying they will make a church marry them. They just want a legal marriage. Separation between church and state!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM
People are not pushing for murdering unborn children. The issue is supporting freedom to make personal choices concerning our own bodies. Since you cant give an embryo and a woman equal rights without compromising either, the right thing is to give the person more rights than the non-sentinent embryo.
Comparing the right to bodily integrity to beastiality is sickening!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
delilahsmom1177
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Umm yes it is. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Separation of church and state is not in the constitiution. Next, and not making it legal is not trying to make you believe differently either. Why are Christians not allowed to vote how they believe, but others can? Why is it force when Christians do it and not force when non-Christians do it.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I used to be against gay marriage, homosexuality all together. I am Christian, and I am focusing on not judging and loving everyone. That's what God says to do and that is what I will do. I will not support things I feel are wrong, but I also will keep my opinions about them to myself. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Where in the Consititution does it say Separation of Church and State? Go ahead, I'll wait.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Umm yes it is. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

CampClan
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Oh no- I don't say certain parts aren't meant to be taken literally. I know they are. And for years I did try to be sumissive to my husband. But he continuously made decisions that I did not feel were right in the eys of God. Example- he had an affair. The Bible says not to commit adultry. It also says God looks down on divorce. That if a believer marries a non-believer (as I did) then the believer basically has to "live with it". Well I did for too many years. I sucked it up & stayed with my husband even though at that point I had a Biblical reason for divorce. Then he had his 2nd affair. And I still tried to hang in there. I finally got tired of it when I realized he wasn't leaving this other chick. So I stood on my beliefs & divorced his butt. I have no regrets becaue I know that as a Christian I had every right & reason to divorce him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)