Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Only taking the Bible literally when it is convenient to YOU

Posted by   + Show Post

Sooo....gay marriage is wrong, well, because the Bible says so of course.

But doesn't the Bible also say that premarital sex is wrong? And that women should be submissive to their husbands?

Most people I know, Christians of course, do not follow these particular parts of the Bible. Usually the answer is "well, I don't think that was meant to be taken literally" or "things were different back then".

So why is it you only follow the marriage laws of the Bible that are convenient for you but when gays want to marry, all of a sudden we MUST take the Bible word for word and NO NO NO, gay people cannot get married and you will push that on them citing your religion for your reasons?

But you excuse yourself of following any part of the Bible you don't think is ok and come up with ridiculous excuses that for whatever reason can only be applied to the versus you don't want to be forced to follow? What's up with that? 

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Replies (121-130):
XJetX
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM
This statement just floored me. Lets just get this out of the way though, I'm not xtian and I'm bisexual. Obviously I stand up for LGBT rights and stand in the fight for them. Now, with that being said, I'd like to know where you see bullying going on towards churches. It's called equal rights, and everyone is entitled to them.
I'd also like to know why you think they're not entitled to marriage within a church if that's what they want. If they're religious, then why shouldn't they have a wedding where they want? Because you don't agree with it and the bible says its wrong? Well let me tell you something, sweetie, the bible also says not to wear cloth woven of different threads, not to circumcise your boys, only gay men are to be put to death (but not women), eating fat, eating blood, tearing your clothes, drinking alcohol in holy places, eating any seafood without fins or scales, going to church within 33 days of giving birth to a boy, going to church within 66 days of giving birth to a girl, making idols or "metal gods " (do you wear a cross around your neck with Jesus on it?) there's tons more but I think you get the point. So why is it that you care so much about same sex marriage? Because it says so in the bible? Do you follow the words of the bible word for word or just what works for you?

Quoting Diamepphyre:

If gay people want everyone else to be tolerant of them getting married, then they need to get the hell off their high horses and stop trying to force churches to do something that is against their beliefs.  You don't get to expect everyone else to understand and be tolerant of your beliefs if you're not willing to reciprocate by understanding and being tolerant of theirs as well.  There is a civil path for marriage that is just as legitimate and they can still have their big party or ceremony anywhere else they'd like.  They shouldn't be allowed to use their chosen sexual orientation to bully others into doing something they don't believe in. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jodie2299
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM
A bigger point is that the Bible is not the governing body of this country. The Constitution is. Denying gay rights is against the Constitution. And I am Christian.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ALXtheg8
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM
I thought when you replied to a quote that says if you haven't read, which you replied, no thanks...it was pretty evident that you hadn't.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where did I say I haven't read it?

Quoting ALXtheg8:

Well , stop talking about what you haven't read. It doesn't make you look smart.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've read plenty of fictional books, thanks.

Quoting ALXtheg8:

First off, it annoys me that people condemn the Bible who don't follow it. Unless youve read it, understand itsteachings, and know what laws we are to abide by, I suggest you learn, and then come back. It gets so old.

starlight91
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
so then it's okay to be a Christian just you cannot follow the Bible literally? oh I see Christians can to follow the Bible but only the way non Christians tell them they have to.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Why does it need to be illegal?  It's already wrong, and those who know that and understand the rationale already protect themselves. 

This case isn't about making something that is wrong illegal.  

It's about not redefinining marriage to mean something it has never meant nor was intended to mean. 

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

You know what is hypocritical? I don't see any Christians protesting in Washington (or anywhere else) and trying to make sex outside of marriage illegal.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Submit to ONE ANOTHER, actually.  It's not the kingly man lording it over his slave woman. 

Of course premarital sex is wrong.  Sex outside of marriage is wrong for very good reasons, like our physical protection from diseases.  One can ignore that at his peril. 

If you know Christians who are contending that their unmarried sex is fine, but gay people shouldn't be having sex, well, you are right...they are hypocritical.

NotAMuggle
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

the fact that gay marriage isn't allowed is upsetting a hell of a lot more people than it's upsetting those who want it to stay illegal.

and it's not changing the wording of fucking marriage. the fact that kim stupid ass kardashian can make a mockery out of marriage, but ellen degeneres and her wife cannot be legally married is a fucking joke and you know it.

hell, kim k isn't even divorced and is pregnant by another man. if that isn't a mockery of marriage, i don't know what is.

Quoting Anonymous:

I DONT follow the Bible and I DONT agree with gay marriage if it means changing the wording and upsetting others

NotAMuggle
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

you are thinking with your Bible, while we're thinking by legal terms and common sense.

marriage has existed way before christianity existed.  fact.

the bible has no place in our government: fact

laws can be changed, and should be changed. if they weren't, then we would still be a highly segregated, sexist, and racist society, even more so than we are now.

you're just mad because there are changes going on and there's nothing you can do about it.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Why does it need to be illegal?  It's already wrong, and those who know that and understand the rationale already protect themselves. 

This case isn't about making something that is wrong illegal.  

It's about not redefinining marriage to mean something it has never meant nor was intended to mean. 

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

You know what is hypocritical? I don't see any Christians protesting in Washington (or anywhere else) and trying to make sex outside of marriage illegal.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Submit to ONE ANOTHER, actually.  It's not the kingly man lording it over his slave woman. 

Of course premarital sex is wrong.  Sex outside of marriage is wrong for very good reasons, like our physical protection from diseases.  One can ignore that at his peril. 

If you know Christians who are contending that their unmarried sex is fine, but gay people shouldn't be having sex, well, you are right...they are hypocritical.

spotsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Right. I might speed, but I don't have one set of rules for some people, and another set for myself. If I speed and get caught, I'll get a ticket, and so will anyone else. But (some) Christians want to have pre-marital sex (I've NEVER known a Christian, male or female, who waited 'til marriage), not submit to their husbands, eat at Red Lobster as much as they want and break many other commandments regularly and do so with impunity, but they want to LEGALLY restrict the righs of others to go against the Bible. Seriously, was Paul Ryan a virgin when married? Sarah Palin? Michelle Bachman? Okay...she probably was, but only because that gay husband of hers wouldn't have sex with her until he absolutely had to. 

It's fine if Christians think homosexuality is an "abomination." But homosexuality is not condemned to any greater in the Bible to any greater degree than eating shellfish. so if they are going to ban gay marriage, then they better get to banning Red Lobster, too. Otherwise, stop trying to deny rights to a group people out of prejudice alone, because if you are not willing to follow EVERY part of the Bible (making your daughter marry her rapist, anyone?) to the literal letter, then your denial of gay rights IS nothing more than prejudice, and the Bible is nothing more than a convenient excuse. It's no different than when Christians tried to keep interaicial marriage illegal and cited the Bible as reason. 

Quoting starlight91:

So everyone is being human,

dont tell me youve never driven past the speed limit, its wrong but you still did it. Just like every human being does.

starlight91
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM
as I stated before, I am NOT against gay marriage, I am for Christians having equality too

Quoting spotsmom:

Right. I might speed, but I don't have one set of rules for some people, and another set for myself. If I speed and get caught, I'll get a ticket, and so will anyone else. But (some) Christians want to have pre-marital sex (I've NEVER known a Christian, male or female, who waited 'til marriage), not submit to their husbands, eat at Red Lobster as much as they want and break many other commandments regularly and do so with impunity, but they want to LEGALLY restrict the righs of others to go against the Bible. Seriously, was Paul Ryan a virgin when married? Sarah Palin? Michelle Bachman? Okay...she probably was, but only because that gay husband of hers wouldn't have sex with her until he absolutely had to. 

It's fine if Christians think homosexuality is an "abomination." But homosexuality is not condemned to any greater in the Bible to any greater degree than eating shellfish. so if they are going to ban gay marriage, then they better get to banning Red Lobster, too. Otherwise, stop trying to deny rights to a group people out of prejudice alone, because if you are not willing to follow EVERY part of the Bible (making your daughter marry her rapist, anyone?) to the literal letter, then your denial of gay rights IS nothing more than prejudice, and the Bible is nothing more than a convenient excuse. It's no different than when Christians tried to keep interaicial marriage illegal and cited the Bible as reason. 

Quoting starlight91:

So everyone is being human,

dont tell me youve never driven past the speed limit, its wrong but you still did it. Just like every human being does.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I said I've read plenty of fictional books. I consider the bible just another one.

Quoting ALXtheg8:

I thought when you replied to a quote that says if you haven't read, which you replied, no thanks...it was pretty evident that you hadn't.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where did I say I haven't read it?

Quoting ALXtheg8:

Well , stop talking about what you haven't read. It doesn't make you look smart.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've read plenty of fictional books, thanks.

Quoting ALXtheg8:

First off, it annoys me that people condemn the Bible who don't follow it. Unless youve read it, understand itsteachings, and know what laws we are to abide by, I suggest you learn, and then come back. It gets so old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN