Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only taking the Bible literally when it is convenient to YOU

Posted by   + Show Post

Sooo....gay marriage is wrong, well, because the Bible says so of course.

But doesn't the Bible also say that premarital sex is wrong? And that women should be submissive to their husbands?

Most people I know, Christians of course, do not follow these particular parts of the Bible. Usually the answer is "well, I don't think that was meant to be taken literally" or "things were different back then".

So why is it you only follow the marriage laws of the Bible that are convenient for you but when gays want to marry, all of a sudden we MUST take the Bible word for word and NO NO NO, gay people cannot get married and you will push that on them citing your religion for your reasons?

But you excuse yourself of following any part of the Bible you don't think is ok and come up with ridiculous excuses that for whatever reason can only be applied to the versus you don't want to be forced to follow? What's up with that? 

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Replies (181-190):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Well, here's apples to apples-I do not agree with it so therefore I am not going to just pretend it's all okay and a wonderful idea......And I do not support the legalization of any drug.  Period.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

OK one I am for the legalization of marijunana(As you can clearly tell by my siggy) But not for all drugs. Who is SSM hurting? I'm sorry but making something like Heroin legal will only hurt people. Apples and oranges my dear.

Quoting love_my_family:

"trying to keep somethin illegal".......

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

What does that have to do with SSM?

Quoting Anonymous:

So, drugs are illegal.....we should not try to make them stay that way?

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Sharing an opinion is one thing. Trying to keep somethin illegal is quite another.

Quoting Anonymous:

But you are allowed to pass laws that go against what I believe......why am I not allowed to share my opinion just because it's different than yours?  I believe passing gay marriage into acceptance is disgusting and demoralizing.......so, I feel you are spreading some not so good things, too.  You cannot tell me that it's ok to have opinions but I have to keep them to myself and then tout that gay marriage is ok-that makes you a hypocrite.  If you have the right to share your opinion, so do I.....

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

You can not make others believe what you believe and by trying to keep marrage equality illegal os just spreading hate and making others believe what you believe.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, what you are saying is:  I can have those opinions and beliefs as long as I don't stand up for them?  I should just allow things to go on that go against my beliefs.  However, those that are for gay marriage should be able to protest and spread the word with no opposition.......  

Furthermore-how about you believe what you believe and make sure you don't try to push it on anyone.  "Sit back with your opinion only living it in your personal life, I don't see anything wrong with that....."

Quoting lovinmama411:

You don't have to agree with gay marriage. I'm not gay, so guess what? I will never participate in a gay marriage. But that doesn't mean I have the right to force my opinion upon others in ways of denying them rights of legal marriage. That is my main issue. If you don't believe in gay marriage, that is your right and I respect that. BUT don't try forcing that on others when most of you don't even follow the book you preach. It's just an excuse to try to control the lives of others and quite sickening. If you don't go down and vote against gay marriage or try and stop gay marriage from happening, and you just sit back with your opinion only living it in your personal life, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, we shall agree to disagree.  I have argued this till I have been blue in the face!  If I don't agree with gay marriage then I am close-minded and such.....which is pretty hypocritical being that if you are allowed to have an opinion, so am I.....

Quoting lovinmama411:

Apples and oranges hun. You can't say that all pro-choicers are also for gay rights, two seperate issues with no connection. I'll tell you exactly where it ends. Marriage = Consenting Adults. Then end.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm an idiot?  So, unborn children are not consenting to being murdered but people push for that......

Where does it end.  Marriage=man+woman.  And I do think women should submit to their husbands......God has a wonderful plan, doesn't He?

Quoting lovinmama411:

You're an idiot. You are comparing consenting ADULTS to helpless animals and children who don't have the mental capacity to fit into the "consenting adults" category. That would be called a crime.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, should people be allowed to marry their neighbor's cat?  I mean, neither can make children and if they are both willing then why not?

delilahsmom1177
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Who are gays hurting by getting married?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, here's apples to apples-I do not agree with it so therefore I am not going to just pretend it's all okay and a wonderful idea......And I do not support the legalization of any drug.  Period.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

OK one I am for the legalization of marijunana(As you can clearly tell by my siggy) But not for all drugs. Who is SSM hurting? I'm sorry but making something like Heroin legal will only hurt people. Apples and oranges my dear.

Quoting love_my_family:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Sharing an opinion is one thing. Trying to keep somethin illegal is quite another.

Quoting Anonymous:

But you are allowed to pass laws that go against what I believe......why am I not allowed to share my opinion just because it's different than yours?  I believe passing gay marriage into acceptance is disgusting and demoralizing.......so, I feel you are spreading some not so good things, too.  You cannot tell me that it's ok to have opinions but I have to keep them to myself and then tout that gay marriage is ok-that makes you a hypocrite.  If you have the right to share your opinion, so do I.....

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

You can not make others believe what you believe and by trying to keep marrage equality illegal os just spreading hate and making others believe what you believe.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, what you are saying is:  I can have those opinions and beliefs as long as I don't stand up for them?  I should just allow things to go on that go against my beliefs.  However, those that are for gay marriage should be able to protest and spread the word with no opposition.......  

Furthermore-how about you believe what you believe and make sure you don't try to push it on anyone.  "Sit back with your opinion only living it in your personal life, I don't see anything wrong with that....."

Quoting lovinmama411:

You don't have to agree with gay marriage. I'm not gay, so guess what? I will never participate in a gay marriage. But that doesn't mean I have the right to force my opinion upon others in ways of denying them rights of legal marriage. That is my main issue. If you don't believe in gay marriage, that is your right and I respect that. BUT don't try forcing that on others when most of you don't even follow the book you preach. It's just an excuse to try to control the lives of others and quite sickening. If you don't go down and vote against gay marriage or try and stop gay marriage from happening, and you just sit back with your opinion only living it in your personal life, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, we shall agree to disagree.  I have argued this till I have been blue in the face!  If I don't agree with gay marriage then I am close-minded and such.....which is pretty hypocritical being that if you are allowed to have an opinion, so am I.....

Quoting lovinmama411:

Apples and oranges hun. You can't say that all pro-choicers are also for gay rights, two seperate issues with no connection. I'll tell you exactly where it ends. Marriage = Consenting Adults. Then end.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm an idiot?  So, unborn children are not consenting to being murdered but people push for that......

Where does it end.  Marriage=man+woman.  And I do think women should submit to their husbands......God has a wonderful plan, doesn't He?

Quoting lovinmama411:

You're an idiot. You are comparing consenting ADULTS to helpless animals and children who don't have the mental capacity to fit into the "consenting adults" category. That would be called a crime.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, should people be allowed to marry their neighbor's cat?  I mean, neither can make children and if they are both willing then why not?

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM

It's a mockery of God's plan.  

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting love_my_family:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

delilahsmom1177
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

So is my uncle's 5th marriage but that is legal. Plus YOUR god is very different than my god. Laws should not be faith based.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting love_my_family:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM
There is NOT a civil path to marriage in most states, and churches already have the right of refusal

Quoting Diamepphyre:

If gay people want everyone else to be tolerant of them getting married, then they need to get the hell off their high horses and stop trying to force churches to do something that is against their beliefs.  You don't get to expect everyone else to understand and be tolerant of your beliefs if you're not willing to reciprocate by understanding and being tolerant of theirs as well.  There is a civil path for marriage that is just as legitimate and they can still have their big party or ceremony anywhere else they'd like.  They shouldn't be allowed to use their chosen sexual orientation to bully others into doing something they don't believe in. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Well aint this the truth. Can't stand the Bible humpers.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Good.
This isn't a theocracy, and cubit rights aren't hostage to your superstition

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting love_my_family:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RoseBlossom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

you dont have to have long hear or wear a head covering to be saved and that is the main thing. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have long hair and wear hats? How far do you take the literal interpretation of the bible?

Quoting Anonymous:

I submit to my husband, strive to be a Titus 2 wife, I believe you should save sex for marriage, and I don't agree with homosexual relationships. I do my best to follow God's law.

-p-
I knew I loved you before I met you, you were already perfectly formed in my heart.
RoseBlossom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM

i have no issue with gay marrige at the state level. its good income for the economy and is a 'right' now. however my faith has something wrong with it. so in that regard i am against it. if it starts infringing on my kids in their education and their is no 'opt out' or if they start trying to force churches to perform their ceremonies, OR if they start suing christian schools, or small businesses based on discrimination, then it starts becoming personal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm glad you brought this topic up. I've heard the religious right take the Bible literally when it comes to homosexuality. The Bible denounces it, but do you know what else the Bible denounces far more often then homosexuality? Capitalism. In fact, capitalism is condemned throughout the New Testament, all the way to the book of Revelations, when "The Black Horse" is described.

Jesus clearly denounces a society in which there is a large divide between the rich and the poor. Have these Bible thumpers ever heard of the parable of the Lazarus and the Rich Man? Have they ever read Jesus' quote, saying that "It would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to go to heaven?"

"Wait a minute," says the Bible thumpers, upon reading these passages. "These parts of the Biible are open to interpretation and must be studied for their hidden meaning!" Really? So there is no hidden meaning when the Bible denounces homosexuality, but there is hidden meaning when the Bible denounces capitalism?

That doesn't sound like theology to me. That sounds like downright hypocrisy.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured